Admirals Top Charlotte 4-2April 5, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Milwaukee Admirals
The win was Engren's first since Feb. 29. He stopped all 13 shots he saw in the third period to help the Admirals move closer to a playoff position in the Western Conference. Since the AHL All-Star break, Engren is 4-5-3 with a .930 save percentage
The Admirals got on the board first with a power play goal at 11:34 of the first period. Victor Bartley's shot from the point deflected into the air where it was knocked to the ice by Chris Mueller. Brodie Dupont slapped the puck from the slot and past Justin Peters for his sixth goal of the season, third on the power play.
The Checkers tied the game with a power play goal of its own at 14:32 of the first period. Charlotte forward Evgenii Dadonov tapped the puck from the right wing boards to Joe Sova at the left point. Sova slapped a pass to the right post where Zach Boychuk deflected the puck into the net for his 20th goal of the season. The goal was the first allowed by Milwaukee's penalty kill unit since March 17 (seven games) and snapped a string of 31 straight penalties killed.
The Admirals reclaimed the lead with another power play goal at 5:33 of the second period. Ryan Thang fed the puck to the right corner for Dupont. Dupont passed the puck for Teemu Laakso to fire a slapshot past Peters from the right circle for his third goal of the season, second on the power play.
The Admirals stretched the lead to two goals at 10:46 of the second period when Chris Mueller completed a gorgeous passing play with Thang and Jon Blum for his 29th goal of the season. Blum carried the puck on the left wing and threaded a pass to Thang in the right circle. As the goalie moved to defend Thang, Thang tapped a one-touch pass to Mueller, who was skating down the slot, for the goal.
Drayson Bowman scored his 12th goal at 11:38 of the second period to make it 3-2 when Justin Krueger's backhander from the slot bounced toward Engren. Bowman slammed the rebound past Engren's right pad for his 21st goal of the season.
The Admirals took the two-goal lead once again with 2:46 remaining in the second period. Kyle Wilson crossed the Checkers line on the right wing. Taylor Beck skated along the boards and caught Wilson's pass at the bottom of the right circle. Beck crashed to the net and jammed the puck under the left pad of Peters for his 15th goal of the season. Bartley recorded the secondary assist.
Milwaukee continues its seven-game road trip with a visit to San Antonio Saturday night. The next, and final, Admirals home game of the season is Sunday, Apr 15 as the Charlotte Checkers visit the Bradley Center at 3pm. It's Fan Appreciation Day. Fans can order tickets by calling Ticketmaster at (800)745-3000 or by logging on to the Admirals website at www.milwaukeeadmirals.com. Groups of ten or more get $2 off every ticket. For more info on how to order group tickets please call (414)227-0550. Don't forget to follow the Admirals on Twitter (@mkeadmirals) and on Facebook!
American Hockey League Stories from April 5, 2012
- Peoria Scores Twice in Third to Beat Stars - Peoria Rivermen
- Rivermen Slip Past Stars 3-2 - Texas Stars
- Checkers Lose Second Straight to Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Admirals Top Charlotte 4-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
- IceCaps Continue Fan Appreciation Week, Present Team Awards - St. John's IceCaps
- Rampage Playoff Tickets Go on Sale Saturday - San Antonio Rampage
- B-Sens Reassign Forward Corey Cowick and Defenseman Josh Godfrey to Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Two Hershey Bears Named to AHL First All-Star Team - Hershey Bears
- Aeros Captain DiSalvatore Earns All-Star Award - Houston Aeros
- Hrivik Bursts on to Whale Scene - Connecticut Whale
- Amerks Fan Appreciation Night to be Held Friday, April 13 - Rochester Americans
- Bishop and Hensick Named Second Team All-Stars - Peoria Rivermen
- Postma Named to AHL First All-Star Team - St. John's IceCaps
- Two Heat Players Name to AHL All-Star Teams - Abbotsford Heat
- Barons Goaltender Yann Danis Named AHL First Team All Star - Oklahoma City Barons
- Barberio and Conacher Named to AHL All-Star Teams - Norfolk Admirals
- 2011-12 AHL First and Second All-Star Teams Announced - AHL
- Palmieri Named to 2011-12 AHL First All-Star Team - Syracuse Crunch
- IceCaps Re-Assign Carrozzi to Ontario - St. John's IceCaps
- Bulldogs Plan Pizza Pizza Fan Appreciation Night - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Worcester Sharks Host Boston Bruins Alumni Doubleheader on Fan Appreciation Night - Worcester Sharks
- Whale Return Jeff Prough to Greenville - Connecticut Whale
- IceCaps Sign Zach O'Brien to ATO - St. John's IceCaps
- Pickard Reassigned to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Abbotsford Heat Foundation Grants Available - Abbotsford Heat
- Gameday Preview- Texas at Peoria - Texas Stars
- Cade Fairchild Named to All-Rookie Team - Peoria Rivermen
- Sheahan Heading to Motown - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Tampa Bay Assigns Brandon Segal to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Heat Top Amerks in Overtime, 4-3 - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.