First Round Playoff Preview: Utah Hosts Las Vegas Starting MondayApril 1, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Utah Grizzlies
Tuesday, April 3: Las Vegas at Utah, 7:05 p.m., 1230 KFAN-2
Thursday, April 5: Utah at Las Vegas, 8:05 p.m., 860 AM, Utah's Big Talker
**Friday, April 6: Utah at Las Vegas, 8:05 p.m., 860 AM, Utah's Big Talker
**Monday, April 9: Utah at Las Vegas 8:05 p.m., 860 AM, Utah's Big Talker
Playoff packages for the first round, start at just $16 for lower bowl seating and include both games. Call (801) 988-8800 for more information. At both first round playoff games, there will be $2 Hot Dogs, $2 Fries, $2 Soft Drinks and $2 Draft Beers; in addition to $7 student tickets.
Hottest Team In Western Conference
Utah closed the season with an 8-3-0-1 record, which was the best mark over the final 12 games and since March 7 in the ECHL's Western Conference.
During the regular season, three active Grizzlies averaged a point a game or more against Las Vegas. Paul McIlveen had seven goals and five assists for 12 points in eight games. Mitch Wahl had four goals and three assists for seven points in five games and Justin Dowling had three goals and four assists for seven points in five games.
Done This Before
Utah and Las Vegas meet in the first round for the second time in three years and for the third time in the last five seasons. Utah beat Las Vegas three games to two in the first round of the 2010 playoffs and fell to the Wranglers in the 2008 Conference Finals.
Five-Straight playoff appearances by Utah and six in the last seven years sets an all-time team high for consecutive playoff appearances and playoff frequency.
Looking For More
The Grizzlies look to win a first round series for the third-straight year for the second time in team history and for the first time since relocating to Utah in 1995. Utah won first round playoff series from 1995-97.
Kevin Colley Versus Las Vegas
Kevin Colley is 28-14-2-2 against the Wranglers as the Grizzlies Head Coach. He is 16-7-1-1 in West Valley versus Las Vegas and 12-7-1-1 overall at Orleans Arena.
3 Vs 6
The 6th seed, has defeated the 3rd seed in three-straight Western Conference matchups going back to 2008. The Grizzlies as a 6 seed are 2-0 in the first round since joining the ECHL. Utah defeated Fresno four games to two in 2008 and Stockton three games to one last year.
Utah goaltender Jimmy Spratt was Las Vegas starting goaltender for all five games in the 2010 series between Utah and Las Vegas. Grizzlies Equipment Manager Jeff Maxwell, held the same position with Las Vegas during that series as well. There are no Utah ties to Las Vegas.
The score in nine combined games, five won by Utah and four by Las Vegas was 25-23 Utah. All nine games in the regular season were decided in regulation.
Utah went 6-36 on the power-play versus Las Vegas and 30-34 on the penalty-kill this year.
Did You Know?
Two of Utah's three shutouts this year came against the Wranglers.
Utah's Maverik Center and Las Vegas' Orleans Arena are separated by 424 miles. It is the second closest travel city for Utah after Boise's 345 miles.
ECHL Stories from April 1, 2012
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- K-Wings Live to Occur in Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Nailers Set to Battle Kalamazoo in Round One - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - April 1 - ECHL
- Jackals Announce Season Awards - Elmira Jackals
- First Round Playoff Preview: Utah Hosts Las Vegas Starting Monday - Utah Grizzlies
- Road Warriors Announce Opening Round Playoff Series - Greenville Road Warriors
- ECHL Announces Schedule for Conference Quarterfinals - ECHL
- Las Vegas Wranglers Take on Utah Grizzlies in First Round of Playoffs - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Drop Season Finale; Just 181 Days Left Until Training Camp - Bakersfield Condors
- Royals to Face Elmira Jackals in Eastern Conference - Reading Royals
- Wranglers Fall 4-3 in Final Regular Season Match - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Grizzlies Close Season with 4-0 Win; Open Playoffs Monday - Utah Grizzlies
- Jackals to Meet Rival Royals in Eastern - Elmira Jackals
- Grizzlies Host Las Vegas Monday, Tuesday to Open Playoffs - Utah Grizzlies
- Eagles End First ECHL Regular Season with Shootout Win - Colorado Eagles
- Thunder battles back in third, closes regular season in one-goal defeat - Stockton Thunder
- Idaho Draws Ontario in the ECHL's First Round - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads End Regular Season with One-Goal Victory - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Advance to Playoffs After Win Over Trenton, 6-4 - Reading Royals
- Ontario Reigns as Pacific Division Champions with 6-1 Triumph - Ontario Reign
- Aces End Regular Season with 6-1 Loss in Ontario - Alaska Aces
- K-Wings to Battle Nailers - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.