Jackals Announce Season Awards
The Elmira Jackals announced their 2011-2012 team awards prior to their final home game of the regular season on Friday night.
Mike Radja was named the club's Most Valuable Player. Radja, a native of Yorkville, Ill., posted 31 goals and 21 assists for 52 points in 46 games with the Jackals this season. He returned to Elmira from a six-week stint with the AHL's Houston Aeros on Mar. 3, scoring 14 goals and adding four assists for 18 points in the final month of the regular season.
Dustin Gazley was named the team's Rookie of the Year. Gazley led all ECHL skaters in 2011-2012 with 85 points and 60 assists. The 23-year-old from Novi, Mich. was honored by the league earlier this week by being named to the ECHL All-Rookie Team and the All-ECHL First Team. Gazley was selected as the ECHL Rookie of the Month for February and was named the league's Player of the Week for Jan. 2 - 8.
Below is the list of the 2011-2012 Elmira Jackals awards:
Most Valuable Player - Mike Radja
Rookie of the Year - Dustin Gazley
Defensemen of the Year - Matt Campanale, Mario Larocque
Leading Scorer - Dustin Gazley
Hardest Working Player - Artem Demkov
Player's Player (Best Teammate) - Craig Rivet
Unsung Heroes - Jean Bourbeau, Jordan Pietrus
Most Popular Player - Rob Bellamy
Community Service Award - Jordan Pietrus
Most Improved Player - Benjamin Dieude-Fauvel
The Eastern Conference regular-season champion Jackals will play the Reading Royals in the best-of-five first round of the 2012 Kelly Cup Playoffs. The Jackals will host the final three games of the series this Friday, Saturday (if necessary), and Monday (if necessary). Tickets for Elmira's home games in the first round will go on sale this Monday morning at 10:00 a.m. Fans can reserve their seats by calling (607) 734-PUCK (7825), visiting the First Arena Box Office, or logging onto JackalsHockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 1, 2012
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- K-Wings Live to Occur in Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Nailers Set to Battle Kalamazoo in Round One - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - April 1 - ECHL
- Jackals Announce Season Awards - Elmira Jackals
- First Round Playoff Preview: Utah Hosts Las Vegas Starting Monday - Utah Grizzlies
- Road Warriors Announce Opening Round Playoff Series - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Announces Schedule for Conference Quarterfinals - ECHL
- Las Vegas Wranglers Take on Utah Grizzlies in First Round of Playoffs - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Drop Season Finale; Just 181 Days Left Until Training Camp - Bakersfield Condors
- Royals to Face Elmira Jackals in Eastern Conference - Reading Royals
- Wranglers Fall 4-3 in Final Regular Season Match - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Grizzlies Close Season with 4-0 Win; Open Playoffs Monday - Utah Grizzlies
- Jackals to Meet Rival Royals in Eastern - Elmira Jackals
- Grizzlies Host Las Vegas Monday, Tuesday to Open Playoffs - Utah Grizzlies
- Eagles End First ECHL Regular Season with Shootout Win - Colorado Eagles
- Thunder battles back in third, closes regular season in one-goal defeat - Stockton Thunder
- Idaho Draws Ontario in the ECHL's First Round - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads End Regular Season with One-Goal Victory - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Advance to Playoffs After Win Over Trenton, 6-4 - Reading Royals
- Ontario Reigns as Pacific Division Champions with 6-1 Triumph - Ontario Reign
- Aces End Regular Season with 6-1 Loss in Ontario - Alaska Aces
- K-Wings to Battle Nailers - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.