4th Straight Road Win for PhantomsMarch 11, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Adirondack Phantoms
Bordson racked up three very nice assists and Leighton turned in an impressive 40-save performance for the victory. Shane Harper (13th), Matt Ford (10th), Mike Testwuide (10th) and Tye McGinn (10th) all scored for Adirondack.
The streaking Phantoms finished off another successful three-game weekend stretch winning two out of the three. It it was fourth straight 2-for-3 weekend for Adirondack.
The 30th win of the season for the Phantoms pulls the team to within just one point of the Albany Devils for the eighth place spot in the Eastern Conference playoff chase. And Adirondack is just two points behind seventh place Manchester while moving into a ninth place tie with Worcester. Both Albany and Manchester lost their Sunday games allowing the Phantoms to close the gap with the valuable two points on the road while giving them the opportunity to vault into one of the playoff positions if the winning ways continue with upcoming games Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
The Phantoms with 63 points are now in a ninth place tie with the Worcester Sharks with 15 games remaining in the regular season. Pretty impressive for a team that found themselves eight points out just a few weeks ago.
But going 6-2 in their last eight games as well as 8-4-1 in their last 13 has allowed Joe Paterson's club to get right in there in the heart of the jammed group of teams in a battle seemingly certain to be contested right up until the end of the regular season.
The Phantoms did not show any letdown following the emotion and intensity of the playoff-atmosphere 4-3 win over Albany in front of the Standing Room Only crowd the night before. The 4-1 victory at Worcester however was not an easy one
Adirondack took a 1-0 lead in the first period when Rob Bordson would loft a puck up high in the air from the Phantoms' zone perfectly arcing it right over the shoulder of Shane Harper cutting in past the Sharks' defense. Harper was able to bat the puck in mid-air and then control it after a couple of bounces to eventually put it home on a breakaway for his 13th goal of the season. Harper had two goals on the weekend and now has four goals in the last five games going back to last Saturday when he had a two-goal game at Albany.
The Phantoms extended the lead to 2-0 in the opening minute of the middle period when Bordson jumped on a giveaway in the Worcester zone and curled to the right-circle slamming a shot off the pads on goalie Harri Satari. The long rebound in the high slot was scooped up by Ford who deposited his low wrister past the left-skate of Satari for his 10th with the Phantoms in 16 games since joining the club in early February.
Ford came over from the Hershey Bears in a trade for Kevin Marshall and already had 10 goals on the season with his former club. The 27-year-old from West Hills, California has matched that output in a much quicker stretch with Adirondack.
After the Phantoms made it 2-0, Worcester would charge into the Adirondack zone time-and-time again getting shot after shot on Michael Leighton. The veteran goalie from Petrolia, Ont. made several fine stops among his 21 total saves in the second period which ended with a right-leg pad save on a Brandon Mashinter breakaway to keep the Phantoms in front by two.
Worcester would finally get on the board in the middle of the third period off a face-off win that they quickly worked out to Jack Combs in the slot for his 13th goal of the season.
But just two minutes later Adirondack would get that goal back with Rob Bordson's slapper from the left-point finding the stick of Testwuide in front of the net for a deflection upstairs for his 10th goal of the season.
Tye McGinn blasted a drive from behind the Worcester line for an empty-net goal with 45 seconds remaining for his 10th of the season to seal the victory.
Leighton's 21st win of the year came on a fine 40-save effort. Rob Bordson earned #2 Star of the Game honors with his three primary assists, all of differing styles.
The game was the first of the year between the Phantoms and Sharks. The lone rematch comes in the second to last game of the regular season on Saturday, April 14 at the Glens Falls Civic Center in a game that could have significant playoff implications for both squads.
The game was a relatively clean contest with very few penalties called. Adirondack went 0-for-2 on the power play while Worcester was 0-for-1. The Sharks outshot the Phantoms 41-35 as both Leighton and Sateri saw plenty of rubber throughout the afternoon.
Adirondack was without Harry Zolnierczyk who was recalled by the Philadelphia Flyers following Saturday night's game. Andrew Rowe, Marc-Andre Bourdon and Oskars Bartulis were the other scratches for the Phantoms.
Adirondack returns home on Wednesday night to take on the Syracuse Crunch on a $1 hot dog night as the team has a fun time celebrating National Potato Chip Day including a potato chip giveaway courtesy of Fitzgerald's.
The Phantoms then travel to Hershey and Syracuse for more back-to-back road games next Friday and Saturday as they will look to extend their four-game road winning streak even further.
Monday, March 12, 7:00 - Phantoms Power Hour LIVe from McGinny's with special guest, Michael Leighton!
Wednesday, March 14, 7:00 - Syracuse Crunch at Adirondack Phantoms. $1 hot dogs. Season Ticket Holder Party after the game in Heritage Hall with the Phantoms players.
Get great savings with the Phantoms when you bring your group of 15 friends or co-workers to a game. Group-rates available as low as $13 per person. Call the Phantoms to find out more at 518-480-3355.
Get your Adirondack O'Phantoms T-Shirts! Two tickets for any game in March plus a St. Patrick's Day O'Phantoms logo T-Shirt all for only $30.
The Northway 2-Pack is on sale now. Get 2 tickets for 2 games between the Phantoms and the Albany Devils on March 10 and April 6 PLUS a player autograph stick all for only $65. Call the Phantoms to order yours! (518) 480-3355
American Hockey League Stories from March 11, 2012
- Griffins Earn Crucial Win Against Aeros - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Aeros Fall at Home - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Drop 3-2 Decision to Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- IceHogs Sweep Admirals, Extend Point Streak to Eight Games - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Hold on for Regulation Win - Lake Erie Monsters
- Jake Allen Blanks Heat for 5-0 Win - Peoria Rivermen
- Mannino Makes Great First Impression - Portland Pirates
- Rampage Fall to Monsters, 3-2 - San Antonio Rampage
- ConnectiCUT the Monarchs Winning Streak - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Power Past Sound Tigers 6-3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons Earn Point Against Penguins - Just 2 Points out of Playoff Spot - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Overpower Devils - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Blank Chicago to Reclaim First Place - Charlotte Checkers
- P-Bruins Fall to Pirates 5-4 - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Power Past Sound Tigers for 15th Consecutive Victory - Norfolk Admirals
- 4th Straight Road Win for Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Penguins Net SO Win Over Falcons - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Whale Perfect against Monarchs - Connecticut Whale
- Game Recap: Devils Bested by Syracuse - Albany Devils
- Sharks Spooked by Phantoms 4-1 - Worcester Sharks
- Wolves Shut out by Checkers, 4-0 - Chicago Wolves
- Rangers Recall Zuccarello from Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Hogs Look to Sweep Weekend Versus Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Crunch Announce Roster Moves - Syracuse Crunch
- Nyquist and Pearce Rejoin Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Aeros Game Day, March 11: Aeros Vs. Griffins - Houston Aeros
- Blue Jackets Activate Forward Jared Boll off Injured Reserve; Assign Forward Maksim Mayorov to Sprin - Springfield Falcons
- Heat Vs Rivermen Game Preview - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.