Crunch Fall to ConnecticutFebruary 7, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Syracuse Crunch
The Crunch failed to convert on four power-play attempts and drop to .500 on the season with tonight's loss.
The Whale took an early lead by capitalizing on their first power-play chance of the game. With Matt Smaby serving two minutes for holding Mats Zuccarello blasted the puck from the right point past Crunch goaltender Jeff Deslauriers making it 1-0, 7:31 into the opening frame.
Crunch left wing JF Jacques evened the score by corralling a loose puck and backhanding it over Whale netminder Chad Johnson at the 14:49 mark of the first period. Devante Smith-Pelly recorded his first AHL point, in his Syracuse Crunch debut, by picking up the only helper on Jacques' goal.
Connecticut's power-play unit struck again after Josh Brittain got whistled for a double-minor high-sticking penalty. Blake Parlett put the Whale up 2-1 after his shot from the blue line made it through traffic and past Deslauriers with 1:46 to play in the second stanza.
Scott Tanski extended the Whale lead to 3-1 when he lifted a rebound over Deslauriers for an even-strength tally 7:52 into the final frame.
The Crunch return to the War Memorial Arena to face the Hershey Bears on Friday, February 10 at 7:30 p.m.
Crunchables: Jeff Deslauriers made his first start for the Crunch since a 4-3 win over the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Jan. 7, 2012...J.F. Jacque's goal was his 14th of the season...Former Crunch defenseman Brendan Bell is now playing for the Whale...The San Jose Sharks loaned veteran netminder Antero Nittymaki to the Crunch Tuesday afternoon.
American Hockey League Stories from February 7, 2012
- Admirals Top Stars in Overtime - Milwaukee Admirals
- Admirals Beat Stars 4-3 in OT - Texas Stars
- Stone Cold Finish - Manchester Monarchs
- Whale Continue Hot Play with 3-1 Win over Syracuse - Connecticut Whale
- Crunch Fall to Connecticut - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins Point Streak Snapped at Seven Games - Providence Bruins
- George Washington, Badger Band, and Wrestlers - Milwaukee Admirals
- Falcons Community Report - Team to Host a Pair of Events this Week - Springfield Falcons
- AHL Weekly - AHL
- Edmonton Recalls Paajarvi - Oklahoma City Barons
- Hamill Returns to Providence - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Heat Weekly - Abbotsford Heat
- P-Bruins Sign Robins - Providence Bruins
- Sikorsky's Hockey & Heroes, Rotary Night Coming up this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Marlies Continue Homestand with Three Games this Week at Ricoh Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Antero Niittymaki Loaned to Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Worcester Sharks Sign Forward Jack Combs to AHL Contract - Worcester Sharks
- Wolves Down Aeros, 2-1 - Chicago Wolves
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- AHL Announces Suspensions - AHL
- White Scores Two But Rampage Overtake Bulldogs, 4-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rampage Fight Back to Overtake Bulldogs 4-2 - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Return Home for Showdowns with Phantoms - Norfolk Admirals
- Meet NHL Hall of Famer Tony Esposito on February 26 - Rockford IceHogs
- 2012 Labatt Blue Bubble Hockey Tourney Underway - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Jets Re-Assign Machacek to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Labatt Blue Bubble Hockey Tournament Presented by the AHL Event Info Announced - Worcester Sharks
- Gameday Preview - Milwaukee at Texas - Texas Stars
- Lightning Recall Evan Oberg from Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Penguins Assign Petersen to W-B/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.