Devils Undone by PhantomsJanuary 20, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Albany Devils
The Phantoms (21-16-1-1, 44 pts.) move ahead of the Devils (17-15-5-3, 42 pts.) in the Northeast Division and in the Time Warner Cable Cup series (3-2).
"We look at standings every day when you get up," said assistant captain Chad Wiseman. "You look at the paper or you look on the internet and you see where you are and we are right in the mix of things. We are a few wins away from being right where we want to be."
The Devils were more fortunate in their contest against the Phantoms Monday, winning 5-3. However, Friday at the Glens Falls Civic Center Albany was without four of the five goal scorers from Monday's game. Nathan Perkovich and Matt Anderson did not dress, while Jacob Josefson and Brad Mills were recalled by New Jersey earlier in the week.
"Everyone knows the game," Wiseman said. "It's just one of those nights as a team you struggle to turn it around. We talk in between periods; we talk on the bench. We have a good group of guys here. Everyone gets along and everyone holds each other accountable. It's not for lack of knowledge, but we just didn't produce."
Wiseman joined Mike Sislo as Albany's goal scorers. Wiseman netted his fourth of the season and second in as many games. Sislo scored his seventh goal. Goaltender Jeff Frazee stopped 33 shots, including 13 in the first, 17 in the second and three in the third.
"I think we just have to play for a full 60 minutes," Frazee said. "They were shooting the puck from everywhere and we were making mistakes."
Sislo made the score 1-0 after 18 minutes and 27 seconds of scoreless action. Wiseman forced an offensive-end turnover and moments later Vladimir Zharkov found him in the slot. His shot was stopped, but Sislo was on top of the crease to chip the rebound between the legs of Jason Bacashihua.
After that it was all Phantoms in the second. Tyler Brown tied the game at 1:02 and Jonathon Kalinski scored at 7:21. Before the end of the period, Andrew Rowe made the score 3-1 with the eventual game winner.
Late in the third, while on a power play and with Frazee on the bench for an extra attacker, Wiseman found a hole from near the goal line. The tally came with just 38 seconds remaining and Tim Sestito had the assist.
The Phantoms held on the rest of the way, giving Jason Bacashihua his seventh win of the season. He made 18 stops.
The Devils return to action Saturday with a 7 pm contest at Springfield. Fans can listen to the game on 104.5 "The Team" ESPN Radio or online at ahllive.com.
Notes: Four of the Devils five goal scorers in their 5-3 win against Adirondack on Monday are not in tonight's lineup: Nathan Perkovich (did not dress), Matt Anderson (did not dress), Jacob Josefson (recalled by New Jersey) and Brad Mills (recalled by New Jersey) ... Stephen Gionta returned to the lineup after missing the previous two games with what head coach Rick Kowalsky described as a lower-body injury ... Three Stars: 1. Jonathon Kalinksi (ADK), 2. Jason Akeson (ADK), 3. Jason Bacashuhua (ADK).
American Hockey League Stories from January 20, 2012
- Checkers Rout Abbotsford - Charlotte Checkers
- Hogs Bury Wolves 3-2 on Snow Day - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Hand Rivermen Texas-Sized Loss - Peoria Rivermen
- Monsters Shut out in Grand Rapids - Lake Erie Monsters
- Stars Cruise Past Rivermen 6-2 - Texas Stars
- Wolves Suffer 3-2 Loss at Rockford - Chicago Wolves
- Kearns' Two Goals Lead Rampage to 3-2 OT Victory - San Antonio Rampage
- 'Canes Acquire Sova and Draft Pick from Devils - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Sink Admirals in 6-3 Win - Syracuse Crunch
- Macdonald Logs 20th Griffins Shutout in 5-0 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Nip Bears, 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Barons Double up Amerks, 4-2 - Rochester Americans
- Monarchs Stay Cold Against Penguins - Manchester Monarchs
- Whale defeated in overtime, 2-1 - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons Come up Short in Portland - Springfield Falcons
- Phantoms Closer to First After 3-2 Win - Adirondack Phantoms
- Admirals Crunched in Syracuse - Norfolk Admirals
- Penguins Roll Past Monarchs in 1000th Game - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Last Defeats First as Senators Halt Bears' Win Streak - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Defeat Sharks 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Devils Undone by Phantoms - Albany Devils
- Sharks Will Look for Payback After 3-2 Loss in Providence - Worcester Sharks
- Tonight's Game Delayed Until 8 P.M. - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Sign Dee to PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- 120120 - Media Release - Flames Reassign Byron to Heat - Abbotsford Heat
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman David Savard to AHL's Springfield Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Announce Details of January 27 Turning Stone Resort and Casino Fan Appreciation Night - Syracuse Crunch
- Flames Assign Wahl to Grizzlies - Abbotsford Heat
- Senators Recall Forward Stephane Da Costa from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Penguins Return Schnell to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Panthers Send Michal Repik to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Snow Day Alert - Rockford IceHogs
- CNY Eye and Tissue Bank Awareness Night Set for January 27 - Syracuse Crunch
- Ducks Recall Center Mark Bell - Syracuse Crunch
- Gameday Preview - Peoria at Texas - Texas Stars
- Flames Assign Carson to Heat - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs and Wolves Faceoff Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Sign Evan Barlow to AHL Contract - San Antonio Rampage
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Dane Byers to AHL's Springfield Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Bulldogs Return Mitch Wahl to Heat - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Jets Re-Assign Postma to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bruins Assign Caron and Kampfer - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Recall Kevin Quick from ECHL Florida - Norfolk Admirals
- Heat Vs Checkers Game Preview - Abbotsford Heat
- Lightning Recall Evan Oberg from the Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Crunch Announce Roster Moves - Syracuse Crunch
- Aeros Game Day, January 20: Aeros Vs. Rampage - Houston Aeros
- Griffins Ready for Big Weekend at Van Andel Arena and Rosa Parks Circle - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Role Reversal for Monsters in Overtime Loss - Lake Erie Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.