Streaking Stars Stay Hot, Beat Griffins 6-4 in a Wild OneJanuary 13, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Texas Stars
In a wild first period, the two teams combined for six goals. Grand Rapids opened the scoring at 2:23, as Willie Coetzee tallied his eighth goal of the season for the 1-0 Griffins lead. Texas countered on a major power play, scoring the first goal at 6:29 for the 1-1 tie. Forward Ryan Garbutt picked up his ninth goal of the year off a deflection. Defensemen Brad Lukowich and Maxime Fortunus each had an assist on the Stars first goal. The Griffins answered back at 8:41, as Joakim Andersson scored a shorthanded goal, his ninth tally of the year, pushing Grand Rapids in front 2-1. The Stars picked up their second power-play goal of the period at 8:54. Rookie Scott Glennie finished off a cross-ice feed from Colton Sceviour. Lukowich added an assist on Glennie's seventh goal of the year. The Griffins picked up two more goals prior to the end of the period, starting at 17:30. Chris Conner picked up his ninth goal of the season from Coetzee, giving the Griffins a 3-2 lead. Grand Rapids closed out first-period scoring at 18:43. Gustav Nyquist potted a rebound with 1:17 left in the period, scoring his tenth goal of the year and giving the Griffins a 4-2 lead after one period of play.
The Stars did all the scoring in the second period, starting with a shorthanded goal at 2:59. Rookie Matt Fraser snapped in his 20th goal of the season on a cross-ice pass from Garbutt, pulling the Stars within a goal at 4-3. Texas tied the game 4-4 at 7:05 of the second period. Colton Sceviour and Scott Glennie cycled the puck in the Grand Rapids zone. Glennie found Francis Wathier in the slot for a one-timer, his eighth goal of the year.
In the third period, Glennie scored his second goal of the night just 21-seconds into the final frame, giving Texas a 5-4 lead. Wathier and Sceviour each had an assist on Glennie's eighth goal of the year. Texas center Travis Morin added an empty-net goal with one second remaining for a 6-4 final. Ryan Garbutt and Mike Hedden each had an assist on Morin's fifth goal of the year, his first goal since November 6, 2011.
Texas is in the middle of a four-game road trip with the next stop in Milwaukee. The team will also make stops in Chicago and Rockford before returning to Cedar Park Center. Texas will return home on Friday, January 20th to host Peoria at 7:30 p.m. The first 2,500 fans to Friday's game will receive a player magnet courtesy of Time Warner Cable. Friday is also 3-2-1 night presented by Community Impact featuring $3 domestic drafts, $2 sodas and $1 hot dogs. The Stars take on the Houston Aeros at home on Saturday, January 21st at 7:00 p.m. The first 2,500 fans to Saturday's game will receive a player card set compliments of Goodwill. Saturday is also a State Farm Family Four Pack night consisting of four tickets, four sodas and four hot dogs starting at $48.
Individual tickets for all games are on sale now. Tickets are available online at www.TexasStarsHockey.com or by calling 512.GO.STARS (467.8277).
2011-12 season seat packages are on sale now. For more information on Texas Stars season tickets call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit www.TexasStarsHockey.com. Anyone interested in purchasing season tickets, suites, group tickets or mini-plans may call the Texas Stars front office.
American Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2012
- Admirals Fall to Wolves, Drop Third Straight - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Win Fifth Straight with 2-1 Victory Over Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Aeros Hold off Rivermen 2-1 - Peoria Rivermen
- B-Sens Fall Flat in 5-2 Loss to Crunch - Binghamton Senators
- Smith, IceHogs Knock off Barons in OT - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks Drop Overtime Decision to Marlies, 2-1 - Rochester Americans
- Monarchs Unlucky on Friday the 13th - Manchester Monarchs
- 13 Is Lucky Number for Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Aeros hold on for a 2-1 win - Houston Aeros
- Stars' Surge Too Much for Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Cruise Past Whale - Norfolk Admirals
- Sateri Does the Monster Mash on Friday the 13th with 1-0 Win - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals win over Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Phantoms Edge Bulldogs 5-4 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- P-Bruins Fall to Sharks - Providence Bruins
- Panthers Aquire Ondrej Roman from Dallas in Exchange for Angelo - San Antonio Rampage
- Streaking Stars Stay Hot, Beat Griffins 6-4 in a Wild One - Texas Stars
- Crunch Roll to a 5-2 Win in Binghamton - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Shoot Past Monarchs 4-2 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Dallas Trades Ondrej Roman for Angelo Esposito - Texas Stars
- Great Skate Winterfest Returns January 21-22 with Snowboarding "Rail Jam" and Dog Sled Rides - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Maintain Pricing on Season Ticket Packages for Third Consecutive Year - Binghamton Senators
- Outdoor Classic Fan Shuttles Launched - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Whale's Game Saturday to be Aired on Beethoven - Connecticut Whale
- Worcester Sharks to Host Online Jersey Auction to Benefit the 15-40 Connection - Worcester Sharks
- Gameday Preview - Texas at Grand Rapids - Texas Stars
- Blackhawks Assign Smith to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Sign Landry to PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Give Blood; Watch Hockey - Peoria Rivermen
- Jets Re-Assign Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Webster Bank Arena Hero Honored - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons Host Pirates Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Button Assigned to Reading - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Announce Time Warner Cable Buy One Get One Games - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Reassign Max Gratchev to Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Aeros Game Day, January 13: Aeros at Peoria - Houston Aeros
- Griffins Ride Seven-Game Point Streak into Tonight's Tussle with Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Losing Streak Continues with 4-0 Loss in Peoria - Lake Erie Monsters
- Rivermen End First Half with Bishop's Sixth Shutout - Peoria Rivermen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.