2010-11 IceHogs Team Awards AnnouncedApril 9, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) Rockford IceHogs
Veteran center Jeff Taffe was named the club's Most Valuable Player and the IceHogs leading scorer. Through 78 games, Taffe paces the IceHogs with 63 points (28g-35a). His 28 goals also lead the team and match a professional career best, originally set with the Rochester Americans during the 2009-10 campaign. The Hastings, Minn. native also skated in one game with the Blackhawks.
Brian Connelly was named the IceHogs Best Defensman for 2010-11 after amassing 51 points (11g-40a) through 78 games. The 24 year-old set an IceHogs AHL single season record for most points by a defenseman, breaking Danny Groulx's mark of 40 points in 2008-09. The blueliner is finishing his second full season with Rockford, accumulating 16g-73a-89pts in 165 career games with the IceHogs.
Winger Kyle Hagel was awarded the team's Man of the Year award and was named Rockford's Unsung Hero. After signing a contract with the IceHogs for the 2010-11 season, Hagel immediately became involved in the community. The Hamilton, Ont. native started a reading program for fourth and fifth graders at Kishwaukee Elementary. Outside of his regular visits to the school, Hagel also frequently volunteered his time at Jr. IceHogs practices or visiting local hospitals.
On the ice, the 26 year-old has chipped in 5g-8a-13pts and racked up an IceHogs AHL record 225 penalty minutes with two games remaining. Hagel also set a franchise-high 32 major penalties in 2010-11.
First-year winger Ben Smith received the Rookie of the Year award. The former Blackhawks sixth round pick (#169 overall) in the 2008 NHL Draft has registered 31 points (19g-12a), in his first professional season. Smith has been hot down the stretch for the Hogs, accumulating 10 goals and two assists in his last 15 contests. The Boston College product has also received three recalls to Chicago over the course of the season, skating in five games. The rookie forward notched his first career NHL goal last night in Chicago's 4-2 win in Detroit.
Team Captain Garnet Exelby was named Rockford's Heavy Hitter. The blueliner has provided the IceHogs with a physical presence throughout the '10-11 campaign. The 29 year-old shows 13 points (3g-10a) and 128 PIMs in 75 games for the Hogs to this point in 2010-11. Exelby has been a strong physical presence on the ice for Rockford all season.
Defenseman Ryan Stanton was recognized as the team's Most Improved player. With two games remaining, the rookie d-man has 3g-13a-16pts with a plus/minus rating of +4. Signed as a free agent by the Blackhawks last March, Stanton has emerged as one of the top defensive prospects in the organization.
American Hockey League Stories from April 9, 2011
- Second Place And Home Ice Clinched With Win - Lake Erie Monsters
- 2010-11 IceHogs Team Awards Announced - Rockford IceHogs
- IceHogs Knock Off Griffins 4-2 In Home Finale - Rockford IceHogs
- Bulldogs Defeat Moose 3-1 And Clinch North Division Title - Hamilton Bulldogs
- IceHogs Double up on Griffins, 4-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sound Tigers get past Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Admirals Stun Rivermen in Regular Season Finale - Peoria Rivermen
- Admirals Capture West Division Crown - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Buried By Bulldogs 3-1 In Last Regular Season Game - Manitoba Moose
- Barons beat Texas - Texas Stars
- B-Sens Display Playoff Intensity With Loss To Phantoms In Season Finale - Binghamton Senators
- Rampage Fall To Wolves 5-3 - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Nip Norfolk in Home Finale, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Whale to Meet Portland in First-round Calder Cup Playoff Series - Connecticut Whale
- Wolves Best Rampage, 5-3 - Chicago Wolves
- Special Teams Doom Admirals in Loss at Syracuse - Norfolk Admirals
- More than 11,000 on hand for 6-2 win; Playoffs begin Thursday in Hershey - Charlotte Checkers
- Shootout Loss Spoils TUC Sendoff - Albany Devils
- Matt Read Scores Game-Winner - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sound Tigers Sink Whale 4-3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sharks drop season finale 6-2 in Charlotte - Worcester Sharks
- Pirates to Meet Whale in Opening Round - Portland Pirates
- Pirates Shade Devils, Capture Atlantic Division Title - Portland Pirates
- P-Bruins Defeat Falcons 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Moose Announce Year-End Award Winners - Manitoba Moose
- Ottawa Senators Announce Changes to Coaching Staff - Binghamton Senators
- B-Sens Present 2010-11 Player Awards - Binghamton Senators
- Sound Tigers Sign Mike Sgroi to PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Marlies Hand Amerks Fourth Straight Loss - Rochester Americans
- Stars Game Sold Out - Texas Stars
- Klingberg Gets the Call from Atlanta - Chicago Wolves
- Lavin Signs ATO, Rockford's Home Finale Sold Out - Rockford IceHogs
- 2011 Calder Cup Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Texas Stars
- Admirals Sign Ben Ryan to ATO - Milwaukee Admirals
- Gameday Preview - Oklahoma City at Texas - Texas Stars
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- Falcons Host Bruins in Home Finale - Springfield Falcons
- Senators Recall Forward Cody Bass from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- B-Sens Single Game Playoff Tickets Set to Go on Sale Monday - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.