IceHogs Knock Off Griffins 4-2 In Home FinaleApril 9, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) Rockford IceHogs
Rockford closed out the home portion of their schedule riding a five-game home winning streak and the team is now four games above .500 (37-33-4-5) for the first time this season.
The IceHogs got the scoring started as Mathis Olimb notched a shorthanded marker to put Rockford up 1-0. David Gilbert pushed the puck up to Olimb on a breakaway and he made a nice move to flip in his ninth goal of the season at 4:33 in the opening frame.
The Griffins responded to tie the game up at 1-1 less than a minute later. Ilari Filppula dished the puck for Jamie Johnson to fire in his 12th goal of the season at 5:11. Tomas Tatar also factored in with an assist.
Then, Grand Rapids took the 2-1 lead when Francis Pare snuck the puck by Alec Richards at 11:18 in the first period. Pare was set up by Joakim Andersson and Gustav Nyquist.
The lead didn't hold for long as the IceHogs locked it back up at 2-2 with a tally by Rob Klinkhammer. Jeff Taffe found Klinkhammer in transition and he sent the puck to the back of the net at 13:40. Brian Connelly registered an assist on the play.
Rockford regained the advantage when Philippe Paradis scored his first professional goal. Kyle Beach found Chris DiDomenico in front of the net. DiDomenico sent the puck over to Paradis and he backhanded it over a sprawling Jordan Pearce to put the IceHogs up 3-2.
After Olimb went to the box for a hooking call late in the game and the Griffins with the extra attacker, Taffe picked up a loose puck in the IceHogs zone and sent it the length of the ice into the empty net to ice the game and give Rockford a 4-2 win.
Richards picked up his 17th win of the season after stopping 34 shots and Pearce was tagged with the loss turning away 26 shots. The IceHogs failed to convert in both of their power play chances and the Hogs held the Griffins off the board on five power plays attempts.
Season Tickets On Sale For 2011-12: It'll be a long summer without IceHogs hockey and season ticket packages for the 2011-12 season are now on sale. To find a ticket package that quenches your hockey thirst, call (815) 847-6399.
American Hockey League Stories from April 9, 2011
- Second Place And Home Ice Clinched With Win - Lake Erie Monsters
- 2010-11 IceHogs Team Awards Announced - Rockford IceHogs
- IceHogs Knock Off Griffins 4-2 In Home Finale - Rockford IceHogs
- Bulldogs Defeat Moose 3-1 And Clinch North Division Title - Hamilton Bulldogs
- IceHogs Double up on Griffins, 4-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sound Tigers get past Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Admirals Stun Rivermen in Regular Season Finale - Peoria Rivermen
- Admirals Capture West Division Crown - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Buried By Bulldogs 3-1 In Last Regular Season Game - Manitoba Moose
- Barons beat Texas - Texas Stars
- B-Sens Display Playoff Intensity With Loss To Phantoms In Season Finale - Binghamton Senators
- Rampage Fall To Wolves 5-3 - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Nip Norfolk in Home Finale, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Whale to Meet Portland in First-round Calder Cup Playoff Series - Connecticut Whale
- Wolves Best Rampage, 5-3 - Chicago Wolves
- Special Teams Doom Admirals in Loss at Syracuse - Norfolk Admirals
- More than 11,000 on hand for 6-2 win; Playoffs begin Thursday in Hershey - Charlotte Checkers
- Shootout Loss Spoils TUC Sendoff - Albany Devils
- Matt Read Scores Game-Winner - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sound Tigers Sink Whale 4-3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sharks drop season finale 6-2 in Charlotte - Worcester Sharks
- Pirates to Meet Whale in Opening Round - Portland Pirates
- Pirates Shade Devils, Capture Atlantic Division Title - Portland Pirates
- P-Bruins Defeat Falcons 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Moose Announce Year-End Award Winners - Manitoba Moose
- Ottawa Senators Announce Changes to Coaching Staff - Binghamton Senators
- B-Sens Present 2010-11 Player Awards - Binghamton Senators
- Sound Tigers Sign Mike Sgroi to PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Marlies Hand Amerks Fourth Straight Loss - Rochester Americans
- Stars Game Sold Out - Texas Stars
- Klingberg Gets the Call from Atlanta - Chicago Wolves
- Lavin Signs ATO, Rockford's Home Finale Sold Out - Rockford IceHogs
- 2011 Calder Cup Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Texas Stars
- Admirals Sign Ben Ryan to ATO - Milwaukee Admirals
- Gameday Preview - Oklahoma City at Texas - Texas Stars
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- Falcons Host Bruins in Home Finale - Springfield Falcons
- Senators Recall Forward Cody Bass from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- B-Sens Single Game Playoff Tickets Set to Go on Sale Monday - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.