Stingrays Sink Road Warriors 5-3January 21, 2011 - ECHL (ECHL) South Carolina Stingrays
The Road Warriors kicked off the scoring early in the first period when defenseman Trevor Glass slapped home a pass from forward Marc-Olivier Vallerand under the blocker of Stingrays goaltender Jared DeMichiel at 4:49. Forward Mark Voakes earned the second assist. Stingrays forward Trent Campbell tied the contest at 7:04 from forwards Jake Hauswirth and Rob Ricci. Seconds later, Greenville reclaimed the lead as Voakes tapped in a loose puck at 7:15. Vallerand and forward Jimmy Kilpatrick received assists. The Stingrays made it 2-2 at 17:12 as forward David de Kastrozza snapped a shot between the legs of Road Warriors netminder Nic Riopel. Defenseman Nate Kiser assisted on de Kastrozza's 15 tally of the season. Road Warriors forward Connor Shields reclaimed the lead at 17:40 from defenseman Blake Parlett and forward Shane Harper.
Stingrays defenseman Dustin Stevenson knotted the contest back up on the power play at 8:31 of the second period from Campbell and forward Tommy Goebel.
Defenseman Josh Godfrey broke the tie on the power play and gave the Stingrays their first lead of the night at 14:08 from forward Pierre-Luc O'Brien and defenseman Patrick Cullity. Goebel added an insurance marker less than a minute later from Cullity and Ricci at 15:03.
DeMichiel improved to 12-6-0-0 making 24 saves on 27 Road Warriors shots. Riopel suffered the loss stopping 24 of 29 Stingrays chances. Stingrays finished the night a perfect 2-for-2 on the power play while the Road Warriors went 0-for-3.
The Fifth Annual Pink in the Rink presented by East Cooper Medical Center is almost here! Join the Stingrays for a night of fun tomorrow, Saturday, January 22 at 7:05 p.m. at the North Charleston Coliseum as they battle the Road Warriors while wearing wear pink jerseys, skating on pink ice and playing with pink sticks to support the fight against breast cancer. The jerseys will be auctioned off LIVE at the end of the game with proceeds going to Susan G. Komen-Lowcountry! This season's Pink in the Rink silent auction features many great items including a Washington Capitals jersey autographed by NHL superstar Alex Ovechkin, autographed sports memorabilia and NASCAR tickets! All proceeds will be donated to help fight breast cancer.
ECHL Stories from January 21, 2011
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Condors Fall to Wranglers, 5-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Jackals Sunk Late by Walleye, 4-3 - Elmira Jackals
- Royals Slip Down the Stretch in Shootout Loss, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Top Grizzlies, 2-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Shorthanded Grizzlies Fall 2-1 in Idaho - Utah Grizzlies
- Blades Overcome Third Period Deficit to Pull off 4-3 Shootout Win Over Reading - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Cool Devils; Extend Lead in Division - Wheeling Nailers
- Kalamazoo's Special Teams Difference in 4-2 Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Fly Past Cyclones, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Sink Road Warriors 5-3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Road Warriors Stung by 'Rays - Greenville Road Warriors
- Walleye Beat Elmira 4-3 on Friday Night - Toledo Walleye
- "Entourage" Star Kevin Connolly to Appear at ECHL All-Star Classic - Bakersfield Condors
- Salmon Kings Auctioning off "Think Pink and See Elston" at the Rink Package - Victoria Salmon Kings
- ECHL Transactions - January 21 - ECHL
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira at Toledo - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Ontario Reign - Stockton Thunder
- Jackals Announce Pregame Transactions - Elmira Jackals
- This Sunday's Reign Game Is Red Cross Jersey Night - Ontario Reign
- Graham Reassigned to Blades from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- Jordan Pearce Headed to Motown - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Today - January 21 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL All-Star Classic on TV and Radio in Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Hamilton Recalls Urquhart and Masse - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: Cincinnati Vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Gameday: Battle of the Palmetto State Continues Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Celebrate Pink in the Rink with the Road Warriors - Greenville Road Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.