Aeros Name Alex White Player of the WeekJuly 26, 2010 - Eastern League (EL) Akron Aeros
The right-hander continued his impressive pitching in the Eastern League with wins on Monday and Saturday nights, finishing with a 1.29 ERA. White pitched 14.0 innings, allowing just two runs on 14 hits while striking out 14 batters against no walks. The Aeros won Monday at Canal Park by the margin of 4-1 against the first-place Curve before smashing the Phillies 12-1 Saturday, the team's largest margin of victory on the year.
Over the course of his 12 starts for Akron this year, the 21-year-old White has easily emerged as the leader of the starting rotation. He is now 6-4 with a 1.48 ERA in 73.0 innings pitched, holding Eastern League opponents to a .204 batting average against. He has recorded quality starts in each of his last six outings, going 4-1 with a 0.70 ERA. He has permitted just three earned runs (nine total runs) in this streak while striking out 29 batters against only three walks allowed in 38.1 innings pitched.
White began his professional career in 2010 with Class A Kinston and in his eight starts, he finished 2-3 with a 2.86 ERA and 41 strikeouts in 44.0 innings pitched. He recorded four straight quality starts before earning the promotion to Akron on May 23rd and for the combined season, now ranks sixth among full-season MiLB pitchers with his 2.00 ERA while ranking 13th with a .204 batting average against. Cleveland selected White in the first round (15th overall) of the June 2009 Draft out of the University of North Carolina.
Baseball America recognized the Greenville, NC native in their pre-season and mid-season rakings of baseball's best prospects. The publication ranked him as the ninth best in the Indians system before the year and as the #65 prospect in the minor leagues. In a mid-season update, White jumped up to #49, second-highest among Cleveland prospects.
The Akron Aeros will award their Player of the Week honor to an individual player every Monday for the rest of the season. In the case of a Monday closure of the team offices, the Aeros will announce the award Tuesday. Cleveland's second-round pick in the June 2009 Draft, second baseman Jason Kipnis, won the award last week and is the only other two-time honoree. This week, the separate Eastern League Player-Pitcher of the Week Awards went to Bowie's Joseph Mahoney and Trenton's Lance Pendleton, respectively.
Akron begins a weeklong home stand tonight at 7:05 p.m. at Canal Park against the second-place Bowie Baysox. Tonight is Dollar Dog Monday and all Aeros fans can acquire FREE ticket vouchers for the game at any local Ritzman Pharmacy location. Eastern League All-Star Paolo Espino (9-3, 3.71 ERA) will make the start Monday night for the Aeros against Bowie's Chorye Spoone (7-5, 3.70 ERA). Monday evening's radio broadcast begins at 6:50 p.m. on Fox Sports 1350 AM and at www.akronaeros.com. For more information, please call the Akron Aeros team offices at (330) 253-5151.
Eastern League Stories from July 26, 2010
- Baysox Take Opener, Defeat Aeros 10-5 - Akron Aeros
- Curve Use Nine Run Eighth for Run Away Win - Altoona Curve
- 'Wolves Fall 11-2 to Altoona in Series Opener - Erie SeaWolves
- Rock Cats Announce Four Roster Moves - New Britain Rock Cats
- Monday's Contest in Richmond Suspended - Reading Fightin Phils
- Brackman Deals in Shutout Win - Trenton Thunder
- Lamura Throws Six Scoreless in Fisher Cats 8-3 Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Portland Homers Way Past B-Mets, 8-4 - Binghamton Mets
- Light Malfunction Suspends Opener with R-Phils - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- LaMura, Fisher Cat Bats Take Down Sens - Harrisburg Senators
- Chiang Slams Sea Dogs Past Mets, 8-4 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Richmond Flying Squirrels Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Aeros Notes - Akron Aeros
- LHP Ross Detwiler Promoted to Washington - Harrisburg Senators
- Anthony Reyes to Start Tuesday for Aeros - Akron Aeros
- Thunder's Pendleton Named EL Pitcher of the Week - Trenton Thunder
- Aeros Name Alex White Player of the Week - Akron Aeros
- Eastern League Announces Weekly Award Winners - EL
- Johnson Tames Squirrels to Split Series - Richmond Flying Squirrels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.