Hat Trick Of Inductees To Enter Amerks Hall Of FameJanuary 13, 2010 - American Hockey League (AHL) Rochester Americans
"I am very surprised, but extremely honored to be acknowledged this way with all the great players that were here before me, the ones that I played with and those who came after I played," said Wiemer about joining the elite class. "I am truly honored."
The 46th, 47th and 48th members of the Hall of Fame will be enshrined during a pregame ceremony on Sunday, February 21st at The Blue Cross Arena. The class will become permanent additions to the Amerks Hall of Fame display, which will open that night in the upper atrium bar area.
Cunneyworth and Wiemer spent four seasons together in Rochester, playing for the Amerks from 1981-85. Both Cunneyworth and Wiemer used Rochester as a launching pad for future careers in the National Hockey League. Cunneyworth also has the distinction of beginning and ending his playing career in Rochester, while also beginning his head coaching career. He is the only man to accomplish that feat in the 54-year history of the Amerks. In all, he spent 15 seasons with the Rochester Americans, seven as a player (1981-86, 1998-00) and eight as a head coach (2000-08). In 2004-05, he was named the winner of the Louis A.R. Pieri Memorial Award as the AHL's outstanding coach. "It's an honor to be selected into such a great group of players, coaches and people," said Cunneyworth.
Wiemer joins his former Rochester teammate in the Hall of Fame. The rugged defenseman played parts of five seasons (1981-85, 1994-95) with the Amerks, totaling 167 points (48+119) in 218 games. Wiemer also still ranks tied for fifth all-time in points among team defenseman and sits third all-time with 34 playoff assists. The Amerks are also adding a longtime contributor to the Hall of Fame this season: Athletic Trainer Kent Weisbeck. Weisbeck will go into the Hall of Fame in his 25th season of service to the club. During his tenure, he has missed only seven contests and has worked over 1,700 games. In the past 24 years, he has earned two Calder Cup rings (1987 and 1996) and has worked in the Calder Cup Finals on five other occasions.
"It feels good to go in with 'Cunney' and 'Wiems'," added Weisbeck. "Cunney played for the love of the game and Wiems was a true veteran at heart. Throughout the years, I helped them both along and took care of them, so I only hope that in some small way I helped them both further their careers."
American Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2010
- Rockford IceHogs Hold On To Defeat Houston Aeros 3-2 - Houston Aeros
- Bulldogs Dropped By Monsters 5-3 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms Beat Bridgeport 3-2 To Sweep Season Series - Adirondack Phantoms
- Phantoms Edge Sound Tigers In Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Admirals Thwart Bears' Winning Streak - Norfolk Admirals
- Falcons Collect OT Win At Worcester - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks Get Clipped In Overtime By Falcons 4-3 - Worcester Sharks
- Devils Can't Catch Crunch 3-2 - Albany Devils
- Crunch Season-Long Win Streak Hits Three - Syracuse Crunch
- Dallas Recalls Fabian Brunnstrom - Texas Stars
- Michael Busto Reassigned To Elmira Jackals - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Senators Recall Daugavins And Re-Assign St. Pierre To Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- P-Bruins Add AHL Forward John Lammers - Providence Bruins
- Matthias Gets The Call; Heads Back To Panthers - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Learn Tough Lesson From Wolves - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Make Roster Moves - Abbotsford Heat
- RBC Future Stars Selected For 2010 Time Warner Cable AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Wolves School Admirals, 7-2, In Day Game - Chicago Wolves
- Moose Release Sharrow From PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Ottawa Senators Relieve Goaltending Coach Eli Wilson Of His Duties - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Recall Goaltender Dan Taylor - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- River Rats Announce First Class - Albany River Rats
- Hat Trick Of Inductees To Enter Amerks Hall Of Fame - Rochester Americans
- Moose Top Heat 4-3 In OT - Abbotsford Heat
- Lawrence Nets Overtime Winner In Abbotsford - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.