Sweet, Lehr Named to IL Post-Season All-Star TeamSeptember 1, 2009 - International League (IL) Louisville Bats
Rick Sweet, who will turn 57 on the final day of the regular season, led the Bats to their second consecutive West Division title thanks to an IL-best 79-56 record. Sweet's Bats clinched the division with a potent blend of power, speed and pitching. Louisville is third in the IL in runs scored (613), homers (126) and stolen bases (126), while the pitching staff is second in the League in ERA (3.49), runs allowed (528) and shutouts (14).
In July, Sweet piloted the IL All-Star team to a 6-5 victory over the PCL squad at the Triple-A All-Star Game in Portland, becoming the event's first three-time manager in the process. Last year Sweet led Louisville to a club-record 88 wins to become the franchise's first-ever IL Manager of the Year.
Justin Lehr, 32, dominated the competition this season, going 13-3 while posting a 3.31 ERA in 20 starts between Lehigh Valley and Louisville. Lehr began the season with the IronPigs, earning IL Pitcher of the Week honors twice in the first five weeks of the season. Traded to Cincinnati and assigned to Louisville (where he spent much of the 2008 campaign) on May 23, Lehr went 6-0 in six June starts and was named as the starting pitcher for the IL Team for the Triple-A All-Star Game in Portland on July 15
On July 31, days after winning another Pitcher of the Week Award, Lehr was summoned to the Reds to make his first Major League appearance since 2006. In his second outing with the Reds, he shutout the Chicago Cubs on four hits, and he now owns a 3-1 record with a 4.19 ERA in six starts for Cincinnati.
International League Stories from September 1, 2009
- Tides split Tuesday twinbill - Norfolk Tides
- Bulls Commit Five Errors, Lose 10-2 - Durham Bulls
- Indianapolis Shuts Out Toledo 3-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Turn Triple Play on Tuesday night - Buffalo Bisons
- Orioles Add Four To Roster - Norfolk Tides
- Tracy Named IL Postseason All-Star - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Sweet, Lehr Named to IL Post-Season All-Star Team - Louisville Bats
- It's a Good Day to be Carlos Torres - Charlotte Knights
- Scranton/Wilkes Barre's Duncan Named IL MVP; Lehr, Jackson, & Sweet Round Out 2009 Award Winners - IL
- Chiefs announce 2010 schedule - Syracuse Chiefs
- Estrada named Topps IL Pitcher of the Month - Syracuse Chiefs
- Bisons Game Notes September 1st - Buffalo Bisons
- September 3rd: Jake Tyler Chia Bobblehead - Toledo Mud Hens
- Brett Myers to Rehab at Coca-Cola Park Tonight - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Walker and Vasquez Receive Big League Promotions - Indianapolis Indians
- Fan Appreciation Weekend at Gwinnett Stadium: Sept. 5-7 - Gwinnett Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.