Jennings Named Southern League MVPAugust 31, 2009 - Southern League (SL) - Montgomery Biscuits
A native of the Birmingham, AL, area, Jennings becomes the third Biscuit recognized as the league's most valuable player. CF Delmon Young was honored in 2005 and 3B Evan Longoria in 2007.
Though he was promoted to Triple-A Durham on August 1st, he continues to place among the league-leaders in numerous categories. He hit .316 with the Biscuits, continuing to rank second in the league batting race. He set the Biscuits' single-season franchise-record with 37 stolen bases, leading the league at the time of his promotion and continuing to place third. His .395 on-base percentage and .486 slugging percentage each remain in the league top-five. He also led the league in triples (8) at the time of his promotion, and is currently tied for third. His 121 hits still lead the Biscuits, as do his 69 runs scored and 48 walks.
The Southern League Most Valuable Player Award is voted on by league field managers, radio broadcasters and beat-writers.
Jennings selection as a Southern League Post-Season All-Star makes him the ninth Biscuit to be so honored. The first eight Montgomery honorees were; 3B Rico Washington (2005),CF Delmon Young (2005), RHP Andy Sonnanstine (2006), C John Jaso (2007), 3B Evan Longoria (2007), RHP Chris Mason (2007), RHP Dale Thayer (2007) and LHP David Price (2008). Six of those players have appeared in the Major Leagues.
At midseason, Jennings was selected to participate for the United States team in the prestigious XM All-Star Futures Game in St. Louis, MO. He was also voted as a midseason Southern League All-Star, but didn't play in the Southern League All-Star Game due to his participation in the Futures Game.
He was selected as the Rays' organizational Player of the Month in April and recognized as the Southern League Hitter of the Week for the week of July 13-19.
In 25 games since joining Durham, he is batting .292 with two home runs and 12 RBIs. Additionally, he has stolen 12 bases in just 14 attempts.
Originally selected by the Tampa Bay Rays in the 10th round of the 2006 draft out of Pinson Valley High School, he is currently in just his fourth professional season.
The Biscuits close the home portion of their 2009 Southern League schedule by hosting Fan Appreciation night during their 7:05 PM game against the Carolina Mudcats on Tuesday night at Riverwalk Stadium. The game will feature a post-game MAX Fireworks Spectacular. Tickets are available and can be purchased by logging on to BiscuitsBaseball.com, visiting the Biscuits Box Office at Riverwalk Stadium or calling the Biscuits at (334) 323-2255.
Southern League Stories from August 31, 2009
- Carolina sweeps doubleheader with two shutouts over Biscuits - Carolina Mudcats
- Barons Sweep Twinbill - Birmingham Barons
- Barons walk off with sweep of double dip - Huntsville Stars
- Smokies slienced by Torra, Mobile Monday night - Tennessee Smokies
- Ever Magallanes Named Southern League Manager of the Year - Birmingham Barons
- Five Barons Headline Southern League Postseason All-Star Team - Birmingham Barons
- Braves take series with 2-1 win, but Jaxx stay in first place tie - Jackson Generals
- Braves squeak by Jaxx - Mississippi Braves
- Suns even series with Monday win - Jacksonville Suns
- Torra tosses shutout, homers in 6-0 rout of Smokies - Mobile BayBears
- Young repeats as league's best hustler - Mississippi Braves
- Smokies' play-in game destinations determined Monday - Tennessee Smokies
- Ciriaco named to Postseason All-Star Team - Mobile BayBears
- Lalli Named to Postseason All-Star Team - Tennessee Smokies
- Vazquez Heads to Louisville, Starts Tonight - Carolina Mudcats
- Matt Peterson Named Southern League Postseason All-Star - Jacksonville Suns
- Wood Named S.L. Pitcher Of Year - Carolina Mudcats
- Carrera, Halman honored by Southern League - Jackson Generals
- Jennings Named Southern League MVP - Montgomery Biscuits
- Birmingham's Everardo Magallanes Named Southern League Manager Of The Year - SL
- Carolina's Travis Wood Named Southern League Most Outstanding Pitcher - SL
- Montgomery's Desmond Jennings Named Southern League Most Valuable Player - SL
- Southern League announces Postseason All-Stars - SL
- Powell off to Charlotte - Montgomery Biscuits
- Colvin Named "SL Hitter of the Week" - Tennessee Smokies
- Triunfel returns from DL, Villarreal placed on DL - Jackson Generals
- Eymann Reassigned; Tordy Sent to Sarasota - Carolina Mudcats
- SL Names Players of the Week - SL
- Lookouts' Adkins Named Pitcher of the Week - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Torres Acquired by Tampa Bay - Montgomery Biscuits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.