Yard Goats Win Wild Game in Altoona
Altoona, PA - The Hartford Yard Goats scored two runs in the ninth inning to come from behind to beat the Altoona Curve by the score of 5-4 on Tuesday night at People's Natural Gas Field in Altoona, Pennsylvania. Colton Welker tied the game with a pinch-hit single and Vance Vizcaino's RBI grounder scored Carlos Herrera for the go-ahead run. Hartford had a 3-0 lead in the seventh before the Curve scored the next four runs to take a 4-3 lead. Altoona's three-run eighth was highlighted by a Logan Hill two-run homer which game the Pirates affiliate their first lead. The Yard Goats have won six of their last seven games, and are tied for second place, five games behind division leading Reading who will visit Dunkin' Donuts Park on Thursday.
The Yard Goats took a 1-0 lead with a pair of triples in the third inning. Carlos Herrera started the inning by cracking a triple down the right field line off Curve starter Beau Sulser. Two batters later Manny Melendez smashed a triple into the right field bullpen scoring Herrera and giving Hartford a 1-0 lead.
Hartford starter Matt Whitehouse was terrific and retired the first seven batters en-route to hurling five scoreless innings. The Yard Goats added a run in the fifth inning, as Carlos Herrera scored on a double play grounder, and another run in the seventh on Mylz Jones sacrifice fly, giving the visitors a 3-0 lead.
Altoona scored a run in the seventh inning to make it a 3-1 game. The Curve rallied for three runs in the eighth to take their first lead. Logan Hill cranked a two-run homer over the centerfield fence to put the Curve in front 4-3.
However, the Yard Goats regained the lead in the ninth. After the first batters was retired, reliever Blake Cederlind walked Brian Serven and Carlos Herrera. Colton Welker followed with a pinch-hit RBI single to centerfield, scoring Serven and tied the game at 4-4. Both runners advanced on the throw. Manny Melendez was intentionally walked and Vance Vizcaino's infielder grounder scored Herrera to put the Yard Goats ahead 5-4. Scott Griggs closed out the ninth to register his 14th save.
The Yard Goats wrap up the two-city six-game road trip on Wednesday night (6:30 PM) at People's Natural Gas Field in Altoona, Pennsylvania. The Yard Goats will return to Dunkin' Donuts Park on Thursday night (7:05 PM) and will host the Philadelphia Phillies affiliate, the Reading Fightin Phils. The game will be broadcast on AM 1410 WPOP and 100.9 FM and streamed on newsradio.1410.com and MiLB.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 20, 2019
- RubberDucks Fall Late after Long Delay - Akron RubberDucks
- Senators Win Despite Long Delay - Harrisburg Senators
- Yard Goats Win Wild Game in Altoona - Hartford Yard Goats
- Gimenez Big Hits Lead Ponies Past Baysox, Snaps Seven-Game Skid - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Ponies Stave off Baysox, 4-3 - Bowie Baysox
- Flying Squirrels and SeaWolves Suspended on Tuesday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Hartford Steals Win with Late Comeback - Altoona Curve
- Bullpen Struggles Sink Thunder Tuesday Night - Trenton Thunder
- Reading Takes Series at Portland with 7-1 Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- 'Dogs Drop Middle Game of the Series, 7-1 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baseball Miracles Comes to Maryland - Bowie Baysox
- Erie SeaWolves at Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #126: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (25-36, 60-65) at Bowie Baysox (39-19, 69-57) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 20th vs. Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox to Change Their Name this Month - Bowie Baysox
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- Team Israel to Play at Dunkin' Donuts Park this July
- Yard Goats Installing Additional Netting at Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats Announce FanFest at Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats to Hold Job Fair Tomorrow at Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats Announce College Baseball Coming Back to Dunkin' Donuts Park