Xs shut down by Canaries' pitching
The Sioux Falls Canaries picked up a 9-4 victory over the Sioux City Explorers here tonight. For the Xs, Aaron Marsden saw his record fall to 0-2 while former major leaguer, Pat Mahomes picked up his first win in a Canaries uniform.
Sioux Falls jumped out to an early 2-0 lead when Wil Quintana homered in the fourth inning and Matt Imwalle also collected an RBI double. Sioux City got a run back in their half of the fourth when Willie James scored on a Alex Llanos groundout.
The Canaries chased Sioux City starter Aaron Marsden with 5 runs in the top of the fifth highlighted by a Ben Van Iderstin grand slam.
The Canaries added a pair of runs in the top of the eighth while the X's added three more runs before the game ended. One of the runs included a Mike Richardson solo homer in the bottom of the ninth.
These two teams will meet again Sunday as they conclude their four game series with a 5:05 start at Lewis & Clark Park.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 19, 2007
- Diablos Down Aviators 6-5 - Coastal Bend Aviators
- Diablos win their fifth straight game, edging Coastal Bend 6-5 - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Recap - AA
- Xs shut down by Canaries' pitching - Sioux City Explorers
- Ruud Hurles Complete Game Shutout as Saints Win 8-0 - St. Paul Saints
- Pelicans Pound Out 10 Runs, Hold On 10-8 - Pensacola Pelicans
- Canaries prevail 9-4 in Mahomes' first win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- After Rain, Aviators Rally Falls Short - Coastal Bend Aviators
- Saints Can't Capitalize on Opportunities Lose 6-3 - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.