After Rain, Aviators Rally Falls Short
After falling behind 7-0 early in Friday night's game at El Paso and waiting out a 30 minute rain delay, the Aviators rallied to score 6 unanswered runs and trailed 7-6 in the 7th inning. However an injury to second baseman Will Lewis earlier in the game forced a series of substitutions that left Coastal Bend without the designated hitter spot in their lineup. So with the bases loaded in the 7th and 3 runs already home without the benefit of a hit, pitcher Pedro Flores was asked to bat. Unfortunately he was unable to deliver and struck out swinging on a 3-2 pitch.
The Diablos tacked on a run in the bottom half of the inning and made it stand up in an 8-6 final. The wild affair looked to be completely one-sided early on, with El Paso leading 7-1 before the rain delay in the bottom of the 4th. The Diablos roughed up Aviators starter Eric Domangue for 7 runs on 8 hits in just 3 innings. But after the rain subsided, Coastal Bend began to chip away, getting a run in the 5th and 6th before plating 3 in the 7th on 4our walks, 2 hit batsman, and a sacrifice fly. To preserve the victory, El Paso manager Butch Henry used starting pitcher Greg Wiltshire to pitch the 9th. He gave up a single before retiring the next 3 batters to earn his first save.
With the victory El Paso improves to 6-2, while the Aviators fall to 4-5. Game 3 of the 4 game series is tomorrow night at 8:05pm and can be heard locally on KOPY 1070 AM.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 19, 2007
- Diablos Down Aviators 6-5 - Coastal Bend Aviators
- Diablos win their fifth straight game, edging Coastal Bend 6-5 - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Recap - AA
- Xs shut down by Canaries' pitching - Sioux City Explorers
- Ruud Hurles Complete Game Shutout as Saints Win 8-0 - St. Paul Saints
- Pelicans Pound Out 10 Runs, Hold On 10-8 - Pensacola Pelicans
- Canaries prevail 9-4 in Mahomes' first win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- After Rain, Aviators Rally Falls Short - Coastal Bend Aviators
- Saints Can't Capitalize on Opportunities Lose 6-3 - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.