Aviators Score 9th Inning Win Over Pelicans, 3-2
Coastal Bend's playoff pulse may be faint, but the Aviators are still playing the full nine innings.
Tuesday night in Pensacola, Pedro Flores had a solid outing, giving the Aviators 6 quality innings in which he struck out 6 batters. He allowed just 2 runs on a second inning homer by Bo Williams. And while his teammates took a while to get on the scoreboard, they eventually took advantage of several walks and a wild pitch to score a run in the sixth and seventh innings on just two hits.
With the bases loaded, Tim Haines got the final out of the bottom of the seventh inning to preserve the tie. He stayed on to throw a scoreless eighth, and in the top of the ninth the Aviators grabbed their first lead. Ryan Smith led off with a triple to right field and Chase Gerdes drove him in with a sacrifice fly to center to make it 3-2 Coastal Bend. Tom Atlee came on to work a 1-2-3 ninth for his 17th save of the year and end the Aviators three game losing streak. Haines was the winner (5-5) for the Aviators while Carl Schaefer (6-4) was the loser for Pensacola.
Game two of the series is tomorrow night at 6:35pm and can be heard locally on KOPY 1070 AM and online.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 14, 2007
- American Association Recap - AA
- Diablos Win Fourth Straight - El Paso Diablos
- Saints Increase Lead to Two Games with 8-4 Victory - St. Paul Saints
- Canaries Stumble in Lincoln - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Aviators Score 9th Inning Win Over Pelicans, 3-2 - Coastal Bend Aviators
- Pelicans, Aviators Go Down to Last Inning - Pensacola Pelicans
- Alvarez, Neitz Selected as Players of the Week - El Paso Diablos
- Diablos Continue To Pile Up More Hardware - AA
- Saints Giveaway Grillz as Summer Comes to a Close - St. Paul Saints
- Three Game Home Stand Begins Tonight - Pensacola Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.