Diablos Down Aviators 6-5
The El Paso Diablos and Coastal Bend Aviators will face each other a total of 24 times this season. The Diablos are quickly piling up the wins against the Aviators, winning their 5th contest in 7 tries Saturday night, 6-5.
The game featured multiple missed opportunities for each side. El Paso left 10 men on base, including leaving the bases loaded to end consecutive innings. The Aviators left 7 men on and made 2 base running mistakes which cost them 2 runs. The first came in the top of the 6th when Juan Figueroa was waived home while rounding third base on Stephen Morales' single. Figueroa started for home, stopped, and started again before attempting to return to 3rd base where the throw had arrived from pitcher Robbie Wachman and he was tagged out. Later in the 7th with only 1 out, Brian Fryer attempted to score from third on a soft ground ball that stayed in the infield and was thrown out at home plate.
Wachman (1-1) allowed 4 runs on 11 hits but got the win. Kevin Hull (1-1) also gave up 4 runs and 11 hits and takes the loss. Ned Darley registered a save, going 1 2/3 innings. Tom Atlee pitched well for Coastal Bend setting down the Diablos 1-2-3 in their half of the 8th. With second baseman Will Lewis and leftfielder/ catcher Luis Apodaca both out with injuries, the Aviators called on pitcher Derrick Van Dusen to fill the designated hitter spot in the batting order. He responded with a single and a double off the top of the outfield wall which narrowly missed leaving the yard.
With the victory the Diablos improve to 7-2 while the Aviators fall to 4-6. El Paso hopes to complete a sweep of the 4-game series tomorrow. First pitch is at 6:05pm and can be heard locally on KOPY 1070 AM.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 19, 2007
- Diablos Down Aviators 6-5 - Coastal Bend Aviators
- Diablos win their fifth straight game, edging Coastal Bend 6-5 - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Recap - AA
- Xs shut down by Canaries' pitching - Sioux City Explorers
- Ruud Hurles Complete Game Shutout as Saints Win 8-0 - St. Paul Saints
- Pelicans Pound Out 10 Runs, Hold On 10-8 - Pensacola Pelicans
- Canaries prevail 9-4 in Mahomes' first win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- After Rain, Aviators Rally Falls Short - Coastal Bend Aviators
- Saints Can't Capitalize on Opportunities Lose 6-3 - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.