Saints Can't Capitalize on Opportunities Lose 6-3
ST. PAUL, MN (May 18, 2007) - The St. Paul Saints had a huge opportunity late in the game, but couldn't come up with a big hit as they lost to the St. Joseph Blacksnakes 6-3 on Friday night at Midway Stadium in front of 5,126 fans.
With the Saints trailing 5-3 in the seventh inning they loaded the bases with nobody out. The Blacksnakes went to their bullpen and turned it over to Tim Vasquez who wiggled out of the jam. He got Brent Krause, who hit a grand slam the night before, to hit into a 1-2-3 double play. Josue Lopez followed that with a pop out to short and the Saints came up empty. They would never challenge Vasquez again as he went 3.0 hitless innings while walking one and striking out one to earn the save.
Dustin Yount got the Blacksnakes on the board in the third with a solo homer to right, his second of the season.
The Saints answered in the bottom of the inning when Brian Sprout walked, went to third on a double by Adam Bourassa and scored on Krause's RBI single.
The Blacksnakes took over from there. They scored three runs in the sixth inning when Saints reliever Jon Huizinga had a runner at first and two outs and walked Adam Balkan, hit David Fowler and forced home a run with a walk to Andy Wilson. Saints reliever Jamie Tricoglou then gave up a two-run single to Jake Whitesides to put the Blacksnakes on top 4-1.
The Saints did answer with a two-run homer from Lopez in the bottom of the inning to cut the deficit to 4-3, but that was as close as the Saints would get.
The same two teams meet Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. The Saints start RHP Charlie Ruud (1-0, 3.00) against Blacksnakes LHP Jesen Merle (0-1, 5.14). The game can be seen on KSTC-TV, Channel 45 and heard on KBGY 107.5 FM. It is "All Pigs Go to Heaven Night" at Midway Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 19, 2007
- Diablos Down Aviators 6-5 - Coastal Bend Aviators
- Diablos win their fifth straight game, edging Coastal Bend 6-5 - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Recap - AA
- Xs shut down by Canaries' pitching - Sioux City Explorers
- Ruud Hurles Complete Game Shutout as Saints Win 8-0 - St. Paul Saints
- Pelicans Pound Out 10 Runs, Hold On 10-8 - Pensacola Pelicans
- Canaries prevail 9-4 in Mahomes' first win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- After Rain, Aviators Rally Falls Short - Coastal Bend Aviators
- Saints Can't Capitalize on Opportunities Lose 6-3 - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Sense of Relief as Saints Come from Behind for Second Straight Night in 6-4 Win
- Saints Add Their Fifth-Round Player Dispersal Draft Pick, Explorers All-Star Closer Matt Pobereyko
- The Perfect Homecoming, Saints Come from Behind for 3-2 Victory over RedHawks
- Join the Saints for Opening Night
- Saints Win Pitcher's Duel, Score Four in 12th for 5-1 Victory