Ruud Hurles Complete Game Shutout as Saints Win 8-0
ST. PAUL, MN (May 19, 2007) - The Saint Paul Saints need to fill some holes on their pitching staff because of trades and injuries, but Charlie Ruud has definitely presented himself as the ace of the staff as he hurled a complete game shutout on Saturday night at Midway Stadium in front of 6,608.
Ruud never allowed a runner past second base and never seemed to be in any trouble as he gave up just six hits while walking one and striking out nine to earn his second victory of the season. Ruud induced two ground ball double plays to help his own cause.
The Saints gave Ruud all the offense he needed in the first when Jay Davis singled home Scooter Jordan. They scored a second run in the inning on a double play ground out by Marcel Longmire.
The Saints knew it was there night in the third when Matt Brunson was at first and Josue Lopez stood at third. Brunson took off, but the old fake to third throw to first play had Brunson caught in a run down. During the run down the Blacksnakes forgot to cover second allowing Brunson to reach safely and Lopez raced home ahead of the throw to score and make it 3-0. Lopez finished the night 3-4 with a double, two RBI and a run scored.
Every Saint collected a hit with Jordan, Davis, Brent Krause and Brunson each collecting a pair of hits as they pounded out 15 as a team.
The two teams meet in the finale of the four game series at 1:05 p.m. on Sunday. The Saints are TBA while the Blacksnakes go with LHP David Glick (0-1, 7.27). There is no radio and the game can be heard on the Saints website at saintsbaseball.com. The game can be seen on the Saints Cable Network. Check the Saints website for the channel in your area. It is the second annual Minnesota Beard and Moustache Championships.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 19, 2007
- Diablos Down Aviators 6-5 - Coastal Bend Aviators
- Diablos win their fifth straight game, edging Coastal Bend 6-5 - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Recap - AA
- Xs shut down by Canaries' pitching - Sioux City Explorers
- Ruud Hurles Complete Game Shutout as Saints Win 8-0 - St. Paul Saints
- Pelicans Pound Out 10 Runs, Hold On 10-8 - Pensacola Pelicans
- Canaries prevail 9-4 in Mahomes' first win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- After Rain, Aviators Rally Falls Short - Coastal Bend Aviators
- Saints Can't Capitalize on Opportunities Lose 6-3 - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Saints Recognized by Their Peers with Fifth Consecutive American Association Organization of the Year Award
- Champions: Saints Claim First Title in 15 Years with 6-3 Victory, Sweep Series
- Saints City of Baseball Museum Honored with Top Ballpark Improvement by Ballpark Digest
- Lang Haunts Former Team, Saints Win Game Two of American Association Finals 3-2, One Win Shy of Title
- Saints Draw First Blood, Take Game One of American Association Finals 12-3