Woodchucks Hang on to Beat Rockers
ASHWAUBENON, Wis - The Wausau Woodchucks (37-32) bolstered their playoff odds in a tense 3-1 victory over the Green Bay Rockers (29-40) at Capital Credit Union Park Thursday night.
With Fond du Lac's loss to Lakeshore, the Woodchucks are now one win away from their first postseason berth since 2014. The Woodchucks would also qualify with a Fond du Lac loss in either of their next two games.
The Woodchucks were held to just three hits, but they made the most of their opportunity in the top of the fourth. After Maurice Gomez (Keiser) and Chase Hug (Evansville) drew walks, an Elie Kligman (Wake Forest) base-hit loaded the bases with one out.
Up stepped Garret Hill (North Dakota State), whose line drive single down the left field line plated two and gave the Woodchucks the lead. A double-steal and an error helped the Woodchucks jump on top, 3-0.
The Rockers had runners on base in every inning Thursday night, but Woodchuck pitchers stranded a total of twelve with timely outs in the win.
Adrian Lopez (Menlo) worked a season-high six innings, holding the Rockers to one run and surrendering just three hits. He struck out two and earned his second win of the summer.
Green Bay scored in the fifth thanks to a sacrifice fly, but Lopez picked off a runner to evade further damage.
Brock Warren (Ripon) earned a nine-out save, walking the tightrope at times but ultimately blanking the Rockers over the game's final three innings.
Warren struck out the side to work around a pair of walks in the seventh and an over-the-shoulder catch by Hug stranded a Rocker in scoring position in the eighth.
After the Rockers loaded the bases in the top of the ninth, Warren struck out Griffin Stevens (Tiffin) and induced a game-ending flyout. Warren has struck out eleven over his first nine innings as a Woodchuck, allowing just one run thus far.
The Woodchucks' next, and final, home game of 2022 season is Friday, August 12th. Gates open at 5:35pm and first pitch is set for 6:35pm against the Madison Mallards. Box seats are sold out, but reserved bleacher seats are still available. It's American Family Insurance night at the ballpark. Stay after the game for post game fireworks! Buy tickets here: https://northwoodsleague.com/wausau-woodchucks/)
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 12, 2022
- Rockers Take Down Chinooks in Home Finale - Green Bay Rockers
- Larks Win Thriller in 2nd-To-Last Game - Bismarck Larks
- Chinooks Drop Final Road Game of Season - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Rox Drop Opener in Bismarck, Look for 50th Win in Season Finale - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Run over Dock Spiders, 8-2 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Alec Atkinson Plays All Nine Positions and Picks up Save on the Mound in Electric Win - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Huskies Shut Down by Stingers - Duluth Huskies
- Wausau Clinches Playoff Spot in Late Win - Madison Mallards
- Battle Jacks Drop Third Straight, 3-1, Longest Skid of the Year - Battle Creek Battle Jacks
- Woodchucks Clinch Playoff Spot - Wausau Woodchucks
- Garrett Martin Signs with Pioneer League's Range Riders - Battle Creek Battle Jacks
- Rox Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - St. Cloud Rox
- Ross Named Northwoods League's Most Valuable Player - Mankato MoonDogs
- Tristin Garcia and Dylan Carter Make 2022 Northwoods League All-Star Team - Green Bay Rockers
- Three Dock Spiders Named NWL Post-Season All-Stars - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rockers Conclude Five-Game Homestand against Chinooks - Green Bay Rockers
- Patrick Mills Named Postseason All-Star - Battle Creek Battle Jacks
- Aidan Sweatt Named All-NWL - La Crosse Loggers
- Northwoods League Announces 2022 Postseason All-Star Team - Northwoods
- Kingfish Fall to Traverse City in Home Season Finale - Kenosha Kingfish
- Honkers Win Back-and-Forth Game to Sweep Bucks - Rochester Honkers
- Loggers Swept by Huskies; Lose, 6-5. - La Crosse Loggers
- Rafters Walk It Off Against the Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rox Walk off Mud Puppies for Second Straight Night, Finish Home Slate 28-8 at the Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Fall to Larks, 3-1 - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Complete Rare Season-Series Sweep - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Split Series on Thursday Night - Green Bay Rockers
- Crenshaw, Shoen and Roberts Clutch up to Crown MoonDogs Walk-Off Winners in Home Finale - Mankato MoonDogs
- Woodchucks Hang on to Beat Rockers - Wausau Woodchucks
- Chinooks Score Six Unanswered, Dock Spiders Fall 6-1 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Chinooks Defeat Dock Spiders, 6-1 - Lakeshore Chinooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.