Wausau Clinches Playoff Spot in Late Win
Wausau, WI - The Mallards have been fighting to survive through the 72-game season for a week now with all of the departures and injuries the team has dealt with as of late. The team continues to fight, even in a 2-1 loss to the Wausau Woodchucks.
The final two games looked as if they would be the most difficult, especially on the pitching staff. However, the veteran Joel Barker saved a number of young arms by providing over seven innings of work in a game where offense was nowhere to be found. The two clubs combined for eight hits and three total runs in the final contest between Madison and Wausau at Athletic Park. Madison was on the board first but it took until the 7th inning. Errors have been an issue for the Madison defense all year. This time, they used a Woodchucks error to score their only run of the game on a grounder off the bat of Liam Moreno.
Barker (7.2 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 4 K) exited the game after his second strong performance against Wausau on the year, with the bases loaded. Donnie Scott handed the ball to Joey Kalafut to try and work out of the jam with two outs in the bottom of the 8th. Tyler Cox, who walked off the Mallards the last time Madison took a trip to Athletic Park, came through again with a two-run single to take a 2-1 lead. The Madison offense was shut down in the final two frames by Aidan Corn out of the Woodchucks' bullpen. The only Mallard with two or more hits in the game was Scott Shaw.
The Mallards will host the season finale tomorrow night at Warner Park in what is a consolation game for Wausau before they host Wisconsin Rapids on Sunday for the first game of the Northwoods League Playoff Quarter Final Series. Madison will look to snap a ten-game losing streak and a two-game streak of losing by just one run. Coverage of Game 72 can be found on the Northwoods League Baseball Network with pregame beginning at 5:48 PM and first pitch scheduled for 6:08 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 12, 2022
- Rockers Take Down Chinooks in Home Finale - Green Bay Rockers
- Larks Win Thriller in 2nd-To-Last Game - Bismarck Larks
- Chinooks Drop Final Road Game of Season - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Rox Drop Opener in Bismarck, Look for 50th Win in Season Finale - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Run over Dock Spiders, 8-2 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Alec Atkinson Plays All Nine Positions and Picks up Save on the Mound in Electric Win - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Huskies Shut Down by Stingers - Duluth Huskies
- Wausau Clinches Playoff Spot in Late Win - Madison Mallards
- Battle Jacks Drop Third Straight, 3-1, Longest Skid of the Year - Battle Creek Battle Jacks
- Woodchucks Clinch Playoff Spot - Wausau Woodchucks
- Garrett Martin Signs with Pioneer League's Range Riders - Battle Creek Battle Jacks
- Rox Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - St. Cloud Rox
- Ross Named Northwoods League's Most Valuable Player - Mankato MoonDogs
- Tristin Garcia and Dylan Carter Make 2022 Northwoods League All-Star Team - Green Bay Rockers
- Three Dock Spiders Named NWL Post-Season All-Stars - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rockers Conclude Five-Game Homestand against Chinooks - Green Bay Rockers
- Patrick Mills Named Postseason All-Star - Battle Creek Battle Jacks
- Aidan Sweatt Named All-NWL - La Crosse Loggers
- Northwoods League Announces 2022 Postseason All-Star Team - Northwoods
- Kingfish Fall to Traverse City in Home Season Finale - Kenosha Kingfish
- Honkers Win Back-and-Forth Game to Sweep Bucks - Rochester Honkers
- Loggers Swept by Huskies; Lose, 6-5. - La Crosse Loggers
- Rafters Walk It Off Against the Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rox Walk off Mud Puppies for Second Straight Night, Finish Home Slate 28-8 at the Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Fall to Larks, 3-1 - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Complete Rare Season-Series Sweep - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Split Series on Thursday Night - Green Bay Rockers
- Crenshaw, Shoen and Roberts Clutch up to Crown MoonDogs Walk-Off Winners in Home Finale - Mankato MoonDogs
- Woodchucks Hang on to Beat Rockers - Wausau Woodchucks
- Chinooks Score Six Unanswered, Dock Spiders Fall 6-1 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Chinooks Defeat Dock Spiders, 6-1 - Lakeshore Chinooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.