Wood Ducks Jump Out Early, Hold On Late For Win Over Salem
Salem, Va. - The Down East Wood Ducks scored six runs in the first three innings, and were able to hold off a late Red Sox rally late, to hold on for a 7-5 win, Thursday.
Down East (17-11, 61-31) forces a rubber game in the series, and will look to win their fifth consecutive series tomorrow against Salem (18-9, 43-51).
The Wood Ducks got on the board early and often against Dylan Thompson (loss, 2-7). Sam Huff singled with one out in the first, and Diosbel Arias followed with a single. Curtis Terry then worked a walk, and with the bases loaded, Yanio Perez lined a two run single to left, to put Down East ahead, 2-0, and extend his hitting streak to ten in a row. Julio Pablo Martinez then bounced an RBI groundout to make it 3-0 Woodies.
Salem would answer in the second against Tim Brennan (win, 2-0). Edgar Corcino and Dylan Hardy lined back-to-back singles to begin the inning, and then two batters later, Charlie Madden came through with a two-run double, to cut the lead to 3-2.
That was all the offense Brennan would allow. He worked six innings, giving up two runs on seven hits, did not walk a batter, and struck out four.
The Woodies came right back with some more offense in the third. Terry and Perez began the inning with consecutive singles, and then with two outs, Yohel Pozo ripped a two run double to left to make it 5-2. One batter later, Josh Altmann lined a single down the left field line, increasing the advantage to 6-2.
Thompson worked five innings, allowing six runs (five earned) on nine hits, he walked three, and struck out two. He and Algenis Martinez combined to load the bases in the sixth inning, but the Red Sox reliever escaped without allowing a run.
The Wood Ducks tacked on an insurance run in the eighth. Bubba Thompson doubled with one out, and Huff, who reached base all five times up, followed with a walk. Arias then came through with an RBI single to left to plate Thompson and make it 7-2 Down East. The Woodies would again end up stranding the bases loaded in the inning.
In the ninth, Francisco Villegas came out of the bullpen and allowed two walks and a double to load the bases. With nobody out, Corey Ragsdale summoned Joe Kuzia (save, 14) out of the bullpen. Kuzia got a popout and a strikeout, and with Michael Osinski down to his final strike, he roped a bases clearing double, to make it a 7-5 contest. Kuzia, however, bounced back to strike out Jagger Rusconi and end the ballgame.
The series finale will take place Friday at 7:05 p.m. when right-hander Reid Anderson (4-5, 4.02) takes the mound for the Woodies to face off with Salem righty Thad Ward (1-1, 1.93). The broadcast will begin at 6:50 p.m. on 960AM The Bull, and online at 960thebull.com as well as on the MiLB First Pitch, and TuneIn Radio Apps.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 18, 2019
- Keys and P-Nats Split Doubleheader - Frederick Keys
- Dash Rally Falls Short against Blue Rocks on Thursday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Wood Ducks Jump Out Early, Hold On Late For Win Over Salem - Down East Wood Ducks
- P-Nats and Keys Split Doubleheader - Potomac Nationals
- Rain Suspends Pelicans and Mudcats in Fourth Inning from Zebulon - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Mudcats and Pelicans Suspended on Thursday Night - Carolina Mudcats
- July 18 - Carolina Micro Brews Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 18 vs. Wilmington) - Winston-Salem Dash
- July 18 Transactions and Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: July 18 at Carolina - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Dash to Take Part in "Fill the Stands with Cans" on Friday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Feliciano Homers in 5-2 Loss to Pelicans - Carolina Mudcats
- Birds Down Muddies Behind Pitching Dominance in Series Opener - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Stephen Watson Named 2019 Carolina League Turf Manager of the Year
- Down East Wood Ducks Announce 2020 Schedule
- Fayetteville Uses Four Run Seventh To Advance To Championship
- September 8 Game Information
- CLDS Tied 2-2 After Down East, Fayetteville Split Double-Header