Mudcats and Pelicans Suspended on Thursday Night
ZEBULON, N.C. - Tonight's game between the Carolina Mudcats and Myrtle Beach Pelicans was suspended in the fourth inning due to heavy rain and wet grounds at Five County Stadium. The game will be made up in its entirety as part of a doubleheader on Friday evening beginning at 5:00 p.m. in Zebulon, NC. The game will then be followed by a shortened, seven-inning game beginning approximately :30 minutes following the conclusion of the resumed game, but not beginning before 7:00 p.m.
Carolina trailed 5-1 to the Pelicans before the game was stopped and eventually suspended due to heavy rain at Five County Stadium. Once it resumes, the game will pick up with the bases empty and with Rob Henry batting with two-outs in the fourth for Carolina.
Aaron Ashby started for Carolina and had worked through four full innings before the game was stopped. Ashby allowed two runs in the second after allowing a run scoring double to Tyler Durna and a RBI single to Wladimir Galindo in the inning. Ashby also allowed a run scoring hit to Jose Gutierrez in the fourth before seeing two more Myrtle Beach runs score in that same frame on a throwing error by shortstop Brice Turang. In all, Ashby walked three, struck out three and allowed five runs (four earned) on five hits over four innings in the start.
Carolina's lone run in the game was driven in on a RBI double from Turang in the third. Both the double and resulting RBI were his first with Carolina so far this season. His double was one of two hits allowed in the game by Myrtle Beach starter Alexander Vargas. Vargas was through three and 2/3 with one run allowed on two hits before the game was halted. He had also struck out three and had not issued a walk before the heavy rain washed away the game.
Per team policy, fans may exchange their tickets for seats of equal or lesser value to a future regular season home game, subject to availability and blackout dates. There are no cash refunds for tickets or parking.
Friday's unconventional doubleheader will air live on the Mudcats Radio Network and online at carolinamudcats.com via TuneIn Radio. The game will also stream live in full high-definition video on MiLB.tv via Minor League Baseball's subscription service.
Individual game tickets, season ticket plans, group ticket packages and the latest mini plans are all available now by visiting the Five County Stadium front office, by calling (919) 269-CATS (2287) and by visiting carolinamudcats.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 18, 2019
- Keys and P-Nats Split Doubleheader - Frederick Keys
- Dash Rally Falls Short against Blue Rocks on Thursday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Wood Ducks Jump Out Early, Hold On Late For Win Over Salem - Down East Wood Ducks
- P-Nats and Keys Split Doubleheader - Potomac Nationals
- Rain Suspends Pelicans and Mudcats in Fourth Inning from Zebulon - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Mudcats and Pelicans Suspended on Thursday Night - Carolina Mudcats
- July 18 - Carolina Micro Brews Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 18 vs. Wilmington) - Winston-Salem Dash
- July 18 Transactions and Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: July 18 at Carolina - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Dash to Take Part in "Fill the Stands with Cans" on Friday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Feliciano Homers in 5-2 Loss to Pelicans - Carolina Mudcats
- Birds Down Muddies Behind Pitching Dominance in Series Opener - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.