Birds Down Muddies Behind Pitching Dominance in Series Opener
ZEBULON, N.C. - The Myrtle Beach Pelicans pitching staff blew through the Carolina Mudcats until the eighth in a 5-2 win on Wednesday night from Five County Stadium.
The gradual scoring night for the Pelicans (15-12, 36-58) started in the third to back Jack Patterson (W, 2-0) in his start. Patterson went a career-high 5.1 innings, allowing two hits while striking out four and walking two.
In the third, the Birds broke through against Carolina (13-14, 52-44) starter Matt Smith (L, 3-8). Following an error that allowed Grant Fennell to advance from second to third, he scored on a sacrifice fly by Carlos Sepulveda to make it 1-0 Myrtle Beach.
The following inning, Tyler Durna walked and came into score on a Tyler Payne RBI triple that staked the Pelicans to a 2-0 lead.
They increased the advantage to 3-0 in the fifth when Sepulveda crossed the plate on a throwing error from catcher Payton Henry following a Delvin Zinn single.
In the sixth, Grant Fennell doubled in another run when centerfielder Tristen Lutz misplayed a fly ball, giving the Birds a 4-0 lead.
After a scoreless seventh, Kevonte Mitchell drove in the Pelicans fifth run on a sacrifice fly to center, plating Durna, to put the Pelicans up 5-0.
The Muddies finally cracked the scoreboard in the eighth with a two-run homer from Mario Feliciano, cutting the deficit to 5-2.
The win marked the Pelicans' third-straight victory and their sixth in their last eight games.
The Pelicans take on the Mudcats on Thursday at 7:00 p.m. for game two of the three-game tilt. RHP Alexander Vargas (2-2, 3.83) will take the hill for the Pelicans against LHP Aaron Ashby (2-3, 3.57) for the Mudcats. Coverage starts at 6:45 p.m. on MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast and the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Apps.
The 2019 season is the 21st season for the Pelicans franchise and fifth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
Images from this story
Tyler Durna at bat for the Myrtle Beach Pelicans
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 18, 2019
- Keys and P-Nats Split Doubleheader - Frederick Keys
- Dash Rally Falls Short against Blue Rocks on Thursday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Wood Ducks Jump Out Early, Hold On Late For Win Over Salem - Down East Wood Ducks
- P-Nats and Keys Split Doubleheader - Potomac Nationals
- Rain Suspends Pelicans and Mudcats in Fourth Inning from Zebulon - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Mudcats and Pelicans Suspended on Thursday Night - Carolina Mudcats
- July 18 - Carolina Micro Brews Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 18 vs. Wilmington) - Winston-Salem Dash
- July 18 Transactions and Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: July 18 at Carolina - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Dash to Take Part in "Fill the Stands with Cans" on Friday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Feliciano Homers in 5-2 Loss to Pelicans - Carolina Mudcats
- Birds Down Muddies Behind Pitching Dominance in Series Opener - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.