Rain Suspends Pelicans and Mudcats in Fourth Inning from Zebulon
ZEBULON, N.C. - Heavy rain and wet grounds forced Thursday's game between the Myrtle Beach Pelicans and the Carolina Mudcats to be suspended with the Pelicans leading 5-1 in the bottom of the fourth inning with two outs and a 3-1 count on Carolina's Rob Henry. The game will be finished on Friday, beginning at 5:00 p.m., and will be followed by a seven-inning game which will start at least 30 minutes after the conclusion of game one, but no earlier than 7:00 p.m.
The Pelicans jumped out in front early over the Mudcats in the second inning when Tyler Durna slammed an RBI double before Wladimir Galindo banged an RBI single to make it 2-0.
After Carolina put up a run in the home half of the third on an RBI double by Brice Turang, the Pelicans added back on in the fourth.
Durna was hit by a pitch to open the fourth and Grant Fennell singled him to second. Two batters later, Jose Gutierrez singled home Durna to make it 3-1. After Carlos Sepulveda walked, Delvin Zinn hit into a fielder's choice that scored a run and another came across on a throwing error in the same play to give the Pelicans a 5-1 lead.
After Alexander Vargas recorded the first two outs of the bottom of the fourth, the players were cleared from the field due to rain with a 3-1 count on Henry.
The Pelicans and Muddies will finish the game tomorrow at 5 p.m. and play the series finale, a seven-inning game, 30 minutes after. RHP Javier Assad (2-6, 3.86 ERA) will take the hill for the Pelicans against RHP Nelson Hernandez (9-6, 4.60 ERA) for the Mudcats. Coverage starts at 4:45 p.m. on MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast and the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Apps.
The 2019 season is the 21st season for the Pelicans franchise and fifth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 18, 2019
- Keys and P-Nats Split Doubleheader - Frederick Keys
- Dash Rally Falls Short against Blue Rocks on Thursday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Wood Ducks Jump Out Early, Hold On Late For Win Over Salem - Down East Wood Ducks
- P-Nats and Keys Split Doubleheader - Potomac Nationals
- Rain Suspends Pelicans and Mudcats in Fourth Inning from Zebulon - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Mudcats and Pelicans Suspended on Thursday Night - Carolina Mudcats
- July 18 - Carolina Micro Brews Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 18 vs. Wilmington) - Winston-Salem Dash
- July 18 Transactions and Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: July 18 at Carolina - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Dash to Take Part in "Fill the Stands with Cans" on Friday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Feliciano Homers in 5-2 Loss to Pelicans - Carolina Mudcats
- Birds Down Muddies Behind Pitching Dominance in Series Opener - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.