Wood Ducks Fall in Well-Pitched Contest
LYNCHBURG, VA - The Wood Ducks' offense stalled after a hot start in a 3-2 loss to the Hillcats on Saturday night. Both runs for the Woodies scored on a bloop RBI single by Yanio Perez in the first inning, marking the only hit with runners in scoring position.
Saturday was Steven Bruce's first start since his complete game shutout on Sunday. He took the loss working into the sixth inning with only five hits against him. However two were solo home runs and spoiled his start.
Down East jumped out to a hot start, putting runners on second and third with two outs for Perez. He lunged for a 1-1 offer and popped it up to no-man's land in right and it dropped. LeDarious Clark and Chuck Leblanc hustled home to score for a 2-0 lead.
Bruce retired each of the first seven batters he faced, but a hit batsman and a two-out single produced a run in the third inning. Each of the next two frames would feature a solo homer by a Hillcat, first by Trenton Brooks to tie it. The second was hit by Jose Medina to give the Hillcats a lead they would hold the rest of the game.
Locke St. John was the first reliever out of the bullpen and he was dominant starting in the sixth. He struck out four of his seven outs on the night. He gave way in the ninth for Jairo Beras to face righty Li-Jen Chu and he induced a fly out to end the eighth.
The Woodies could not figure out the Lynchburg bullpen as they struck out seven times over the last three innings. Lynchburg takes the series with the win and look for the sweep on Sunday at 5:00 p.m. in the last meeting of the season between the two clubs.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 11, 2018
- Mudcats Edge Red Sox 4-3 in Salem - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Falls 5-4 in Close Bout with Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Salem Clipped 4-3 by Carolina Saturday - Salem Red Sox
- Dash Post Shutout Win over P-Nats on Chris Paul Night - Winston-Salem Dash
- Defense Bites Potomac in 4-0 Loss to Dash - Potomac Nationals
- Rocks Shoo Pelicans Away in the Ninth - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Wood Ducks Fall in Well-Pitched Contest - Down East Wood Ducks
- Levy's Infield Single Gives Keys Walk-Off Win - Frederick Keys
- Brooks, Medina Power Hillcats to Second Straight Win - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 11 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (august 11 Vs. Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Mad Chad Taylor, Comedic Juggler, to Appear at Northwest Federal Field on Saturday, August 25th - Potomac Nationals
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, August 11 vs. Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Wood Ducks Record Sixth Shutout Win of the Season
- Red Sox Shut out the Woodies in Opener
- Wood Ducks Fall for the First Time at Home against the Mudcats
- Another Complete Effort from the Woodies Clinches Series with the Mudcats
- Down East Wood Ducks "Bojangles' Family 4-Pack" Available for Friday, August 24th Game