Levy's Infield Single Gives Keys Walk-Off Win
FREDERICK, MD - Stuart Levy collected an infield single in the 10th inning to give the Frederick Keys (56-62, 21-28) a 1-2 victory over the Buies Creek Astros (66-51, 29-19) on Saturday night. The win was the fifth walk-off win for the Keys and their seventh straight victory in one-run games. They also improved their extra innings mark to 7-1, the best percentage in the Carolina League.
Tied 1-1 going to the 10th, Tyler Erwin struck out the side to strand Osvaldo Duarte at third. In the bottom of the 10th, Randolph Gassaway started at second base and moved to third on a Preston Palmeiro infield single. After Chris Clare walked, the bases were loaded with nobody out. Tommy DeJuneas then struck out Jake Ring and Alejandro Juvier to keep the bases loaded with two outs. That set up Levy, who popped a ball over the head of DeJuneas away from the first baseman Jake Adams. The single allowed Gassaway to score and gave the Keys their 2-1 win.
The Astros started the scoring in the third inning. Cody Bohanek started the frame with a single. After stealing second, he was plated by a Jacob Meyers single.
The Keys tied up the game in the fourth. Continuing his Major League rehab assignment, Craig Gentry singled to left field and moved to scoring position on a passed ball. After Wilson Garcia struck out, the ball went to the backstop which allowed Garcia to reach and Gentry to move to third. Gentry then scored on a fielder's choice off the bat of Gassaway to make it 1-1, which it would stay until the 10th.
Erwin (4-3) picked up the win for the Keys. He fired two scoreless innings, including striking out the side in the 10th. DeJuneas (0-2) took the loss, allowing the walk-off single.
For the third time in four starts, Alex Wells completed seven innings. Receiving a no-decision, the left-hander allowed one run while scattering four hits. He did not walk a batter and struck out seven. Abdiel Saldaña also received a no-decision. The right-hander allowed an unearned run over five four-hit innings while striking out three.
Frederick and Buies Creek conclude their series on Sunday afternoon. Right-hander Mike Baumann (7-3, 4.04) is scheduled to start for the orange and black. He will be opposed by right-hander Peter Solomon (0-0, 0.00) for the Astros. First pitch is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. and the game can be heard on frederickkeys.com and the TuneIn Radio app. For tickets, fans can call 301-815-9939 or visit frederickkeys.com.
The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. In 2017, the Keys received the Esurance Home Field Advantage Award for Carolina League for the second straight season, after leading the circuit in highest percentage of attendance based on ballpark capacity. The club will celebrate its 30th anniversary in 2018. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at GArnold@FrederickKeys.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 11, 2018
- Mudcats Edge Red Sox 4-3 in Salem - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Falls 5-4 in Close Bout with Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Salem Clipped 4-3 by Carolina Saturday - Salem Red Sox
- Dash Post Shutout Win over P-Nats on Chris Paul Night - Winston-Salem Dash
- Defense Bites Potomac in 4-0 Loss to Dash - Potomac Nationals
- Rocks Shoo Pelicans Away in the Ninth - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Wood Ducks Fall in Well-Pitched Contest - Down East Wood Ducks
- Levy's Infield Single Gives Keys Walk-Off Win - Frederick Keys
- Brooks, Medina Power Hillcats to Second Straight Win - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 11 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (august 11 Vs. Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Mad Chad Taylor, Comedic Juggler, to Appear at Northwest Federal Field on Saturday, August 25th - Potomac Nationals
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, August 11 vs. Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.