Brooks, Medina Power Hillcats to Second Straight Win
Lynchburg, Va. - Despite falling behind 2-0 early, the Lyncburg Hillcats launched home runs to tie and take the lead, knocking off the Down East Wood Ducks, 3-2, on Saturday.
Lynchburg (57-58, 28-20) scored a run in each of the third, fourth and fifth innings, including solo home runs from Trenton Brooks and Jose Medina, to take a 2-0 series lead over the Wood Ducks (50-69, 15-34).
For the second straight night, the Wood Ducks opened the scoring in the top of the first inning. LeDarious Clark singled with one out, advanced to second on a groundout, and stole third. Then with two outs, Chuck LeBlanc walked and stole second to put two in scoring position for the Woodies. Yanio Perez then came through looping a two-run single over first base to plate a pair of runs and give Down East a 2-0 advantage.
The Hillcats got on the board in the third inning. After Steven Bruce (Loss, 5-7) set down the first seven hitters he faced, he hit Jorma Rodriguez with a pitch to give Lynchburg their first base runners. Two batters later, Dillon Persinger brought him in with a two-out single back up the middle to make it 2-1, cutting the deficit in half.
Bruce worked 5.1 innings, allowing three runs on five hits, struck out seven, and did not walk a batter.
Lynchburg added a run in the fourth inning when Brooks smacked a lead off home run, his fourth of the season, to tie the score at 2-2.
Medina continued the power trend for Lynchburg. He lifted a solo home run to right field in the fifth inning to give the Hillcats their first lead of the night, 3-2. Medina has now homered in two straight games as a member of the Hillcats, previously going deep against Frederick on May 7, before being optioned to Lake County.
Meanwhile, Eli Morgan (Win, 7-5) settled down to work 6.2 innings, giving up only the pair of first inning runs. He allowed five hits and four walks, while striking out four. The win was Morgan's first since July 8 against Wilmington.
Kyle Nelson followed Morgan, and struck out all three batter he faced out of the Hillcats bullpen. Then after Micah Miniard allowed a walk and a single in the eighth, Nick Sandlin (Save, 1) came on to pick up a strikeout and maintain the one-run edge. Sandlin stayed on for the ninth and retired the Wood Ducks in order to pick up his first first save at the Advanced-A level.
The Hillcats will go for the series sweep on Sunday, with first pitch against the Wood Ducks set for 5 p.m. Lefty Kirk McCarty (0-0, -.--) will make his Lynchburg debut, opposed by Wood Ducks right-hander Jason Bahr (0-3, 8.62).
It will be Sandlot Sunday at City Stadium with kids run the bases, as well as post-game family catch in the outfield and wiffle ball.
Max Gun and Matt Present will be on the air with the Hillcats pregame show beginning at 4:50 p.m. on TuneIn Radio and Radio434.
For tickets and more information visit lynchburg-hillcats.com, the City Stadium box office, or call 434-528-1144.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 11, 2018
- Mudcats Edge Red Sox 4-3 in Salem - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Falls 5-4 in Close Bout with Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Salem Clipped 4-3 by Carolina Saturday - Salem Red Sox
- Dash Post Shutout Win over P-Nats on Chris Paul Night - Winston-Salem Dash
- Defense Bites Potomac in 4-0 Loss to Dash - Potomac Nationals
- Rocks Shoo Pelicans Away in the Ninth - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Wood Ducks Fall in Well-Pitched Contest - Down East Wood Ducks
- Levy's Infield Single Gives Keys Walk-Off Win - Frederick Keys
- Brooks, Medina Power Hillcats to Second Straight Win - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 11 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (august 11 Vs. Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Mad Chad Taylor, Comedic Juggler, to Appear at Northwest Federal Field on Saturday, August 25th - Potomac Nationals
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, August 11 vs. Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lynchburg Hillcats Stories
- Five-Run Second Guides Hillcats to Third Straight Win
- Big Sixth Inning Leads Hillcats Past Wood Ducks in Opener
- Hillcats Bats Come Alive, Win Series Finale on Easter Sunday
- Hillcats Manage Just Three Runs in Double-Header, Get Swept by Pelicans
- Hillcats and Pelicans Postponed on Friday