Myrtle Beach Falls 5-4 in Close Bout with Wilmington
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - Despite a three-hit, two-RBI night from Jared Young , the Myrtle Beach Pelicans were dropped 5-4 on Saturday night by the Wilmington Blue Rocks from TicketReturn.Com Field at Pelicans Ballpark.
The Pelicans (51-66, 17-30) struck first in the bottom of the first inning off of Blue Rocks (60-57, 29-12) starter Andres Sotillet (2-3). D.J. Wilson and Zach Davis collected back-to-back singles before Young plated Wilson with an RBI ground out. Andruw Monasterio then knocked home Davis with a sacrifice fly to make it 2-0.
The Blue Rocks answered back immediately with three runs in the top of the second inning. Angelo Castellano and Nate Esposito ripped back-to-back RBI singles to tie the game and Oliver Nunez gave Wilmington the lead when he bounced into an RBI fielder's choice.
Already leading 3-2, the Blue Rocks tacked on in the top of the fifth on a D.J. Burt RBI ground out. However, the Pelicans came back to tie it in the bottom of the inning. With Davis at third, Jhonny Pereda fit a line drive just inside first base to draw the Birds within one. Young then laced an RBI single of his own to even the score at four.
In the top of the seventh, Manuel Rondon (0-3) entered for the Pelicans. Nunez singled to short with one out, stole second and advanced to third when the throw skipped into center before coming home with the go-ahead run on a wild pitch.
The Pelicans turned in 16 hits, but left 11 on and went 2-for-15 with runners in scoring position.
The Pelicans meet Wilmington on Sunday at 6:05 p.m. for the rubber game of the series. The Birds send LHP Justin Steele (0-1, 3.38 ERA) to the mound against Wilmington RHP Ofreidy Gomez (4-9, 3.88 ERA). Television coverage begins at 6 p.m. on The CW21 and MiLB.tv. A radio broadcast starts at 5:50 p.m. on MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast, the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn.
Sunday's game is Rollback Night with tickets starting at $5, $2 hot dogs and 16 oz. sodas, $4 24 oz. domestic draft beer until 8 p.m., $2.50 popcorn, $3 pretzels and $6 hats. In addition, it is Superhero Night and an Ultimate Kids Sunday featuring free inflatables, face painting, balloon artists and a pregame on-field catch.
The 2018 season is the 20th season for the Pelicans franchise and fourth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 11, 2018
- Mudcats Edge Red Sox 4-3 in Salem - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Falls 5-4 in Close Bout with Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Salem Clipped 4-3 by Carolina Saturday - Salem Red Sox
- Dash Post Shutout Win over P-Nats on Chris Paul Night - Winston-Salem Dash
- Defense Bites Potomac in 4-0 Loss to Dash - Potomac Nationals
- Rocks Shoo Pelicans Away in the Ninth - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Wood Ducks Fall in Well-Pitched Contest - Down East Wood Ducks
- Levy's Infield Single Gives Keys Walk-Off Win - Frederick Keys
- Brooks, Medina Power Hillcats to Second Straight Win - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 11 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (august 11 Vs. Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Mad Chad Taylor, Comedic Juggler, to Appear at Northwest Federal Field on Saturday, August 25th - Potomac Nationals
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, August 11 vs. Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Myrtle Beach Pelicans Stories
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: April 25 vs. Carolina
- Bethencourt Delivers Walk-Off Sac Fly in Pelicans Win over Carolina
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: April 24 vs. Carolina
- INF Aramis Ademan assigned to Myrtle Beach
- Pelicans Pitching Stumbles in Loss to Carolina Mudcats