Dash Post Shutout Win over P-Nats on Chris Paul Night
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - With Dash part owner Chris Paul and 6,226 total fans in attendance, the Dash shut out Potomac 4-0 on Saturday night at BB&T Ballpark. Paul, who purchased a minority share of the team in April, threw out the ceremonial first pitch and then cheered on his hometown team.
Alec Hansen made the start for Winston-Salem (29-16, 70-45), marking his first appearance at the High-A level since last season. The right-hander tossed two scoreless innings, allowing one hit, walking two and striking out one on 39 pitches. Lincoln Henzman followed with three scoreless innings, logging his fourth consecutive outing without allowing an earned run (11.2 innings in that span).
However, Potomac (24-22, 61-52) starter Joan Baez (7-9) stifled the Dash bats for the first five innings before Winston-Salem broke through in the sixth. Luis Robert led off the inning by reaching on a fielding error by Potomac's second baseman Bryan Mejia. Then, Luis Gonzalez smacked a double into deep left-center field to bring Robert around and give the Dash a 1-0 lead.
The Dash chased Baez from the game later in the frame. After Gonzalez's RBI double, Blake Rutherford and Gavin Sheets each drew walks to load the bases. Next, Laz Rivera ripped a two-run single into center to extend Winston's lead to 3-0 and end Baez's night.
Winston-Salem added a run in the bottom of the seventh. With two outs, Gonzalez hit a high fly ball to centerfield that Jack Sundberg lost in the lights, resulting in a double. Nick Madrigal capitalized, lofting a bloop single to right-center field to plate Gonzalez and extend the Dash lead to 4-0.
Drew Hasler (6-2) fired two scoreless innings in relief to earn his sixth win of the season, and Devan Watts and Mike Morrison combined for two more shutout frames to complete Winston's 10th shutout win of the year.
With the victory, the Dash become the first Carolina League team to reach the 70-win plateau this season and just the fifth team in Minor League Baseball to eclipse 70 wins.
The Dash's series with the P-Nats concludes on Sunday at 2 p.m., when left-hander John Parke (3-3, 3.94 ERA) toes the rubber against left-hander Nick Raquet (2-2, 6.67 ERA). Pregame coverage begins at 1:45 p.m., and fans can catch all of the action on wsdash.com/broadcast, MiLB.tv and the TuneIn Radio App. Fans can also watch live locally on My48 (WXLV).
The homestand concludes with the final Latin American Jersey Day of the season, when the Dash will become the Rayados as part of Minor League Baseball's "Copa de la Diversion" initiative. For tickets and more information, call the Dash at (336) 714-2287 or visit wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 11, 2018
- Mudcats Edge Red Sox 4-3 in Salem - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Falls 5-4 in Close Bout with Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Salem Clipped 4-3 by Carolina Saturday - Salem Red Sox
- Dash Post Shutout Win over P-Nats on Chris Paul Night - Winston-Salem Dash
- Defense Bites Potomac in 4-0 Loss to Dash - Potomac Nationals
- Rocks Shoo Pelicans Away in the Ninth - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Wood Ducks Fall in Well-Pitched Contest - Down East Wood Ducks
- Levy's Infield Single Gives Keys Walk-Off Win - Frederick Keys
- Brooks, Medina Power Hillcats to Second Straight Win - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 11 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (august 11 Vs. Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Mad Chad Taylor, Comedic Juggler, to Appear at Northwest Federal Field on Saturday, August 25th - Potomac Nationals
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, August 11 vs. Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winston-Salem Dash Stories
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (august 19 Vs. Wilmington, Doubleheader)
- Dash, Blue Rocks Postponed on Saturday
- Dash Outlast Blue Rocks 12-11 in Suspended Game
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (august 18 Vs. Wilmington, Suspended Game + 7-Inning Contest)
- Remillard, Bullpen Lift Dash to 4-3 Win over Wilmington