NFL, MLB, CFL stats

Wolves Rally Stopped By Shootout

December 11, 2009 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Chicago Wolves News Release

TORONTO---The Chicago Wolves rallied to tie the score, 4-4, in the third period and killed off two five-on-three man advantages in overtime, but fell to the Toronto Marlies in a 10-round shootout, 5-4, at Ricoh Coliseum Friday night.

Trailing, 4-3, with 8:05 left to play in regulation, right wing Anthony Stewart collected the puck from left wing Brett Sterling and cranked a quick wrister past Marlies netminder Andrew Engelage to even the score and send the game into overtime.

Chicago (12-12-1-1) was whistled for three penalties in the five-minute extra frame, but held off Toronto to send the game into a shootout. Wolves netminder Drew MacIntyre kicked out six shots in overtime and thwarted seven Marlies attempts in the shootout, but it wasn't enough for the win. Stewart and center Kevin Doell scored for Chicago in the shootout.

After a scoreless first period, Doell broke the deadlock, giving Chicago a 1-0 lead, one minute into the second period. Toronto was trying to clear the puck from the zone but center Matt Anderson blocked the breakout pass and took a shot on net from the doorstep. The shot trickled through the goal crease and Doell was able to push the puck past Engelage for the goal.

Toronto (12-9-2-1) tied it at one at 5:16 of the second period. Defenseman Brendan Mikkelson took a shot from the point through traffic and the puck ricocheted off several defenders before it made its way to center Tyler Bozak, who redirected the puck over MacIntyre.

MacIntyre (7-8-1) posted 33 saves in regulation and overtime.

The Marlies took a 2-1 lead on the power play when defenseman Josh Engel wristed a shot from the point and the puck flew into the net past a screened MacIntyre at 7:11 of the second.

Thirty-five seconds later, the Wolves lit the lamp again on a power-play goal from Sterling. Engelage made the first save on center Jason Krog's shot from the circle, but right wing Tim Stapleton hacked at it and the puck squirted free. Sterling was able to pick up the puck and push it past Engelage to even the score at two.

Left wing Viktor Stalberg regained the lead for Toronto, 3-2, just 1:35 later when he skated the puck around the net and took a shot from the circle past MacIntyre, far-post.

The second period flurry of goals continued at 9:21, when Krog evened the score at three apiece with a shot from the point for the Wolves second power-play goal of the night.

The Marlies scored again to take a 4-3 lead into the second intermission. Bozak won an offensive-zone faceoff for Toronto and passed the puck back to defenseman Jonas Frogren on the point. Frogren one-timed the puck past MacIntyre, glove-side, at 16:03.

Engelage (2-2-0) stopped 18 of 22 shots and thwarted eight Chicago shootout attempts for the win.

The Wolves travel to Cleveland tomorrow for the first of two back-to-back games against the Lake Erie Monsters at the Quicken Loans Arena, beginning with a matchup on Sat., Dec. 12, at 6:30 p.m.

• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...

American Hockey League Stories from December 11, 2009

The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.

Other Recent Chicago Wolves Stories

Sports Statistics from the Stats Crew
OurSports Central