'Wolves Drop Series Opener to Baysox
The Erie SeaWolves and Bowie Baysox both came in on hot streaks but it would be Bowie that continued their run as they defeated the SeaWolves 8-1. The Seawolves sent struggling pitcher Jared Wesson to the mound hoping that he would snap out of his recent skid. Unfortunately, Wesson was batted around by the middle of the Bowie lineup.
After an uneventful first inning, Bowie struck for two runs in the second inning when first baseman Brandon Waring smashed his team leading eighth homer. Things did not get any better for Wesson in the third.
Antoan Richardson, the speedy leadoff hitter for the Baysox, singled and moved to third on a Jonathan Schoop double. Rhyne Hughes then bounced his offering to Jordan Lennerton at first who attempted to throw out Richardson at home. Richardson slid around the tag for Bowie's third run of the game. Robbie Widlanski then doubled home Schoop.
The wheels finally came off for the Howlers in the fith inning. The Baysox loaded up the bases and scored one when Manny Machado grounded out to third. This would end the day for Wesson. However, Erie and pitcher Jared Gayhart allowed Bowie to score three two out runs when Waring came back up to the plate. He doubled home the remaining two runners on base and would complete the Bowie scoring when he came home on a Josh Barfield single.
Erie's lone run came in the bottom of the third inning when Niuman Romero's ground out allowed Michael Rockett to score from third after he advanced there from first on a wild pitch and throwing error from Baysox catcher Brain Ward.
Zack Samuels would finish off the game for Erie with two scoreless innings while Bowie's starter Zack Clark stifled the 'Wolves with seven innings of six hit ball.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 19, 2012
- B-Mets Start Roadtrip with Two Losses, 6-4 & 4-2 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Aeros Claim Two Wins from B-Mets - Akron RubberDucks
- Sea Dogs Blowout Senators 14-0 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Mesa's Hit Lifts Thunder Past Squirrels, 3-2 - Trenton Thunder
- 'Wolves Drop Series Opener to Baysox - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve Don't Monkey Around in Win over 'Cats - Altoona Curve
- Jenkins Dazzles 8th Largest Crowd in 6-1 Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Squirrels a Rally Short in Opener, 3-2 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Baysox Bats Bounce Back - Bowie Baysox
- RHP Ricky Orta Joins Thunder, Marshall Hits DL - Trenton Thunder
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at Trenton - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rock Cats-Big Y Kids Health Wellness Program - New Britain Rock Cats
- Moves made prior to tonight's series opener with Reading - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rock Cats Get Twins Outfield Prospect Arcia - New Britain Rock Cats
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- B-Mets Game Notes: at Akron Aeros - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Host Hockey for Hope Night - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.