Rock Cats-Big Y Kids Health Wellness Program
New Britain, CT- The New Britain Rock Cats Baseball Club, the Double-A Eastern League Affiliate of the Minnesota Twins, announced today that they are teaming up with Big Y© World Class Market©, to inspire kids to eat healthy and stay active in the fight against childhood obesity.
According to the CDC, childhood obesity rates have tripled since 1980. The Rock Cats program will educate families, and encourage kids to remain active and eat healthy every day. All children, 15 and younger throughout Connecticut and Western Massachusetts are invited to participate by making the commitment of eating one healthy food and enjoying 30-minutes of physical activity each day for one week. Participants will track progress on the Big Y© and Rock Cats activity form provided by the team.
Rocky, the popular team mascot is participating in American Diabetes Association School Walks to promote healthy living. Informative articles, healthy dietary suggestions, and other useful information can be accessed on the team website (www.rockcats.com) under the "community" tab.
The 2012 Big Y© World Class Market© and Rock Cats Kids Health and Wellness program will culminate at the 2nd Annual Big Y© Kids Health and Wellness Day at the Rock Cats on Sunday, July 1st at New Britain Stadium - a game dedicated to fitness education. Children and families involved in the program will enjoy pre-game fitness activities conducted by Rocky and Rock Cats players on the field beginning at 12:05 PM, followed by the Rock Cats match-up with the Bowie Baysox (1:35 PM). Courtesy of Big Y©, the first 1,200 kids that enter the ballpark on July 1st will receive a Rock Cats fitness bracelet.
Participation forms can be obtained by calling the Rock Cats' Community Relations Department at 860-224-8383, visiting participating pediatrician offices, and at local Big Y stores. With questions or for further information, please contact Amy Helbling, Rock Cats Director of Community Relations, at 860-224-8383 x23.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 19, 2012
- B-Mets Start Roadtrip with Two Losses, 6-4 & 4-2 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Aeros Claim Two Wins from B-Mets - Akron RubberDucks
- Sea Dogs Blowout Senators 14-0 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Mesa's Hit Lifts Thunder Past Squirrels, 3-2 - Trenton Thunder
- 'Wolves Drop Series Opener to Baysox - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve Don't Monkey Around in Win over 'Cats - Altoona Curve
- Jenkins Dazzles 8th Largest Crowd in 6-1 Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Squirrels a Rally Short in Opener, 3-2 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Baysox Bats Bounce Back - Bowie Baysox
- RHP Ricky Orta Joins Thunder, Marshall Hits DL - Trenton Thunder
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at Trenton - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rock Cats-Big Y Kids Health Wellness Program - New Britain Rock Cats
- Moves made prior to tonight's series opener with Reading - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rock Cats Get Twins Outfield Prospect Arcia - New Britain Rock Cats
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- B-Mets Game Notes: at Akron Aeros - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Host Hockey for Hope Night - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Britain Rock Cats Stories
- Rock Cats to Hold Season Ending Blowout Sale Tomorrow and Friday
- Dramatic Patterson Walk-Off HR Lifts Lid off New Britain Stadium in Rock Cats Finale
- DÃ©ja Vu: Morneau's Homer Wins It for Rock Cats
- Rock Cats Set New Single Game Attendance Record at New Britain Stadium 8,672
- Morneau Returns Before Record Crowd, But Cats Lose