B-Mets Start Roadtrip with Two Losses, 6-4 & 4-2
AKRON, OH - The Binghamton Mets kicked off a critical nine-game roadtrip with a pair of losses against the Akron Aeros, falling in the resumption of a suspended game by a 6-4 score in ten innings before dropping the nightcap by a 4-2 final in seven frames.
In an unusual circumstance, the B-Mets played as the home team in the opener as they resumed a game that was originally suspended at NYSEG Stadium in the top of the sixth inning on June 4 with the score knotted at two.
Nick Weglarz quickly broke that tie by blasting a solo home run to right against Armando Rodriguez in the sixth. The outfielder doubled Akron's lead with another solo home run in the ninth, banging a drive off the batter's eye in center.
Binghamton would not go down without a fight in the ninth. Dustin Martin walked against Jose De La Torre to start the inning and moved to third on a double from Josh Rodriguez. A wild pitch allowed Martin to score and a sac fly from Juan Lagares tied the game at four. The B-Mets had the potential game-winning run at second, but Jefry Marte struck out to end the inning.
Brad Holt took the mound for the ninth and things immediately went south. In a span of six batters, the righty allowed one hit and issued four walks, including two with the bases loaded, giving the Aeros a two-run lead.
Bryce Stowell entered in the tenth and posted a perfect inning to collect his second save. De La Torre (3-0) suffered his first blown save, but earned his third win. Holt (2-1) was saddled with his first loss.
The break between games did nothing to dampen Akron's offense. The Aeros used four hits against B-Mets starter Mark Cohoon in a three-run first inning, highlighted by Thomas Neal's two-run homer.
Binghamton scratched back with single runs in the second and third against starter Paolo Espino, but it's as close as they would get. Juan Centeno provided an RBI triple in the second and Josh Rodriguez launched a solo homer to center to cut the deficit to one.
Neal provided more insurance for the Aeros with an RBI single against Cohoon in the third. All three of the right fielder's RBI's came with two outs.
Trailing by two, Binghamton's final threat came in the sixth when Dustin Martin lined a one-out single to left. Reliever Bryan Price entered and induced Lagares to ground into a fielder's choice before getting Travis Ozga to ground out to end the inning. Binghamton went down in order in the seventh.
Cohoon (3-7) suffered the loss. He allowed four runs on seven hits over six innings. The lefty retired the final eight he faced to cap his night. Espino (1-2) earned his first win as an Aero since August 2011, while Price nailed down his fourth save.
The B-Mets (31-36) look to snap their three-game losing streak Wednesday evening in a doubleheader. The opener is set to start at 6:05 PM with RHP Zack Wheeler taking on LHP T.J. House. The nightcap pits a pair of freshly-promoted pitchers in RHP Cory Mazzoni for the B-Mets and LHP Frankie Jimenez for the Aeros. The Horizons Federal Credit Union pre-game show begins at 5:50 PM on Newsradio 1290 WNBF.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 19, 2012
- B-Mets Start Roadtrip with Two Losses, 6-4 & 4-2 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Aeros Claim Two Wins from B-Mets - Akron RubberDucks
- Sea Dogs Blowout Senators 14-0 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Mesa's Hit Lifts Thunder Past Squirrels, 3-2 - Trenton Thunder
- 'Wolves Drop Series Opener to Baysox - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve Don't Monkey Around in Win over 'Cats - Altoona Curve
- Jenkins Dazzles 8th Largest Crowd in 6-1 Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Squirrels a Rally Short in Opener, 3-2 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Baysox Bats Bounce Back - Bowie Baysox
- RHP Ricky Orta Joins Thunder, Marshall Hits DL - Trenton Thunder
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at Trenton - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rock Cats-Big Y Kids Health Wellness Program - New Britain Rock Cats
- Moves made prior to tonight's series opener with Reading - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rock Cats Get Twins Outfield Prospect Arcia - New Britain Rock Cats
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- B-Mets Game Notes: at Akron Aeros - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Host Hockey for Hope Night - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Binghamton Rumble Ponies Stories
- Rumble Ponies & Lupo's Media Event Set for March 23
- Meet the Rumble Ponies Dinner Set for April 3
- Rumble Ponies Unveil 2018 Promotional Schedule
- Parlor City Cards & Collectibles to Sell Rumble Ponies Game-Worn Jerseys
- Ponies Cap Memorable Month with Sweep