Aeros Claim Two Wins from B-Mets
Akron, OH -Akron's Nick Weglarz belted a pair of home runs Tuesday, as the Akron Aeros defeated the Binghamton Mets in both ends of a doubleheader, 6-4 and 4-2, at Canal Park.
Weglarz swatted a pair of homers in the completion of a suspended game from June 3rd. He ripped a solo shot to right in the sixth as the game was resumed, and then blasted a tape-measure shot to center in the ninth to give the Aeros a 4-2 lead.
The B-Mets, who were the home team in the game, tied it with two in the ninth off Jose De La Torre (5-0), but then graciously obliged with a pair of bases-loaded walks by Brad Holt (2-1) in the 10th, to give the Aeros a 6-4 lead.
Bryce Stowell came on and closed the game in the bottom of the 10th, picking up his second save.
In the nightcap, Akron righthander Paolo Espino (1-2) worked into the sixth and earned his first win of the year, as the Aeros won 4-2. Espino scattered five hits and two runs, one earned, while walking one and striking out two.
Bryan Price came in for Espino and recorded the final five outs for his fourth save.
The Aeros (44-25) scored three runs in the first inning off B-Mets starter Mark Cohoon (3-7), highlighted by Thomas Neal's two-run home run. Neal later added an RBI single in the third to finish with three RBI's in the game.
The Aeros and B-Mets will play a doubleheader on Wednesday evening at 6:05, as they continue the five-game series. In game one, RHP Zack Wheeler (6-2, 1.92) will start for Bimghamton against Akron's LHP T.J. House (4-2, 3.55). In the nightcap, RHP Cory Mazzoni (NR) will start for Binghamton and RHP Frankie Jimenez (NR) will go for Akron. Both hurlers will be making their Double-A debut. All Aeros games are broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM and online at www.akronaeros.com. For more information, please call the Aeros at 330-253-5151.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 19, 2012
- B-Mets Start Roadtrip with Two Losses, 6-4 & 4-2 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Aeros Claim Two Wins from B-Mets - Akron RubberDucks
- Sea Dogs Blowout Senators 14-0 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Mesa's Hit Lifts Thunder Past Squirrels, 3-2 - Trenton Thunder
- 'Wolves Drop Series Opener to Baysox - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve Don't Monkey Around in Win over 'Cats - Altoona Curve
- Jenkins Dazzles 8th Largest Crowd in 6-1 Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Squirrels a Rally Short in Opener, 3-2 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Baysox Bats Bounce Back - Bowie Baysox
- RHP Ricky Orta Joins Thunder, Marshall Hits DL - Trenton Thunder
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at Trenton - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rock Cats-Big Y Kids Health Wellness Program - New Britain Rock Cats
- Moves made prior to tonight's series opener with Reading - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rock Cats Get Twins Outfield Prospect Arcia - New Britain Rock Cats
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- B-Mets Game Notes: at Akron Aeros - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Host Hockey for Hope Night - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- RubberDucks to Honor Browns Legend Joe Thomas with New Extreme Food Item
- RubberDucks National Anthem Auditions Set for March 17
- RubberDucks Release Full 2018 Promotional Calendar
- RubberDucks Announce Staff Changes for 2018 Season
- RubberDucks Six-Hour Suite Heart Special Sale Is February 22