Wolves Drop OT Battle to Wild
The Chicago Wolves rallied from two third-period deficits and forced extra time but fell, 4-3, to the Iowa Wild in overtime on Saturday night at Allstate Arena.
Forward Brandon Pirri's two goals sparked the scoring for the Wolves (8-5-1-1) and snapped Iowa's two-game shutout streak, but Iowa (11-4-1-0) capitalized on a
miscue in overtime to take the first contest of the season between the teams. Chicago scored three power-play goals and Iowa notched two.
"It becomes a special teams war," said Wolves head coach Rocky Thompson. "And it's not something that we wanted to get involved with against a team that leads the league in power play and penalty kill."
Iowa scored two power-play goals in the second period and added a third tally in
the third frame, eventually taking the game with 2:16 left in overtime on a goal from forward Gerry Fitzgerald.
Pirri broke Iowa's 145 minutes and 40 seconds of shutout hockey and put the
Wolves up 1-0 with his fifth tally of the season, snagging the puck from Iowa's Matt Read in the left circle and sniping the shot over goaltender Andrew Hammond's glove 17:02 into the game.
Forward Reid Duke tied the game 2-2 with a power-play goal at the 16:09
mark of the third period. T.J. Tynan found him rushing down the right wing and Duke slid a shot between Hammond's skates.
Pirri tabbed his second power-play goal of the evening at the 16:20 mark of the
third period, sailing a shot in from the top of the circle between Hammond's pads to help force the overtime period.
Hammond (7-3-1) earned the win with 29 saves while Max Lagace (3-2-1) ended the night with 23 saves.
The Wolves' homestand continues at 3 p.m. Sunday against the Manitoba Moose. It's a Family Sunday, which means the first 1,000 kids receive a free Legoland Discovery Center admission ticket. For the best ticket specials, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 17, 2018
- Iowa Notches Third Straight Win in 4-3 Overtime Victory against Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Top Rockford on Hockey Fights Cancer Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Vande Sompel scores one goal and adds an assist in his home province; Bridgeport extends point streak to eight games - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Blackwood Stops 42 in 2-1 Win over Marlies - Binghamton Devils
- Wolves Drop OT Battle to Wild - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Rally Past Rocket, 6-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Camper Bags Moose in Overtime - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Senators End Homestand with Defeat to Bridgeport - Belleville Senators
- Reign Stifled at Milwaukee - Ontario Reign
- Bailey Scores Twice, But Amerks Fall in Overtime to Bruins - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Put away Comets, 6-3 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Grand Rapids Tags Moose in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Drop Overtime Game to Checkers, 6-5 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Thunderbirds Hang on in Saturday Clash - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Donato's OT Goal Helps P-Bruins to 3-2 Win - Providence Bruins
- Grosenick Nealry Paw-Fect in Ads Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Checkers Come Back, Defeat Penguins in Overtime - Charlotte Checkers
- T-Birds' Rugged Effort Results in 3-2 Win over Phantoms - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Cross Scores Twice as Monsters Roll Past Bears, 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Monsters Score Three in Second Period, Down Bears 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- Five Unanswered Goals Sinks Comets - Utica Comets
- Marlies Host Duel with Devils - Toronto Marlies
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Sens Finalize Black Friday/Cyber Monday Offers - Belleville Senators
- Tucson Roadrunners Toy Drive to Take Place at Tucson Arena Tuesday and Wednesday - Tucson Roadrunners
- Roadrunners Toy Drive to Take Place at Tucson Arena Next Week - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Host Fortnite Night at 7 PM Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Dallas Stars Recall Center Roope Hintz and Defenseman Ben Gleason from Texas - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Recall Kempe from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Sound Tigers, November 17 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Monsters at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Tucson Topped in Tight-Knit Affair; Falls 3-1 to Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sound Tigers Defeat Rocket 2-1 in Four-Round Shooutout - Laval Rocket
- Gulls Ride Power Play to 4-1 Victory - San Diego Gulls
- Four-Goal Third Pushes Stars Past Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Streak Ends in San Diego - Bakersfield Condors
- Schneider's 32 Saves, Rychel's Team-Leading Seventh Burn the Roadrunners 3-1 - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Wild Moves into First Place with 6-0 Win against Milwaukee - Iowa Wild
- Toews scores in regulation, Bellows nets shootout winner in Laval on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Early Deficit No Problem for Reign - Ontario Reign
- Ontario Reigns with Three Third-Period Goals - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.