Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (June 16 at Carolina)
The Dash wrap up their first-half slate on Sunday against the Carolina Mudcats at Five County Stadium. First pitch is set for 2 p.m..
WINSTON-SALEM DASH (37-26) at Carolina Mudcats (39-29)
RHP Jorgan Cavanerio (2-0, 3.90 ERA) vs. RHP Matt Smith (2-5, 3.66 ERA)
2 p.m. - Five County Stadium (Zebulon, N.C.)
Game #64 (Road Game #33)
PILKINGTON SHINES IN NARROW LOSS
Konnor Pilkington carried a no-hit bid into the sixth on Saturday night, but two clutch hits from the Mudcats powered Carolina past the Dash 4-2 at Five County Stadium. Dominating from the onset, Pilkington set down the first 11 Mudcats he faced before allowing a two-out walk to Tristen Lutz. With the Dash leading 1-0 heading into the sixth, Ryan Aguilar broke up the no-hitter with a two-out, run-scoring single to knot the contest at one. The Mudcats took the lead in the eighth with a three-run double from Lutz. Tyler Frost and Zach Remillard both hit solo homers for Winston in the loss.
MORE ON PILKINGTON'S GREAT OUTING
Pilkington's no-hit bid on Saturday marked the longest no-hit bid for a Dash pitcher since Dane Dunning went 6.1 no-hit frames at Myrtle Beach on April 11, 2018, before giving up a hit. A former third-round pick out of the University of Mississippi, Pilkington has now allowed one run or fewer in seven out of 11 starts this season.
HEY NOW, YOU'RE AN ALL-STAR
It was announced on Tuesday that six Dash players earned a nod to the Carolina League All-Star Game that will take place on Tuesday, June 18, at 7:15 p.m. from Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Winston's six All-Stars mark the second-most in the Dash era (2009-present), just behind the seven selected in 2010. Here are this year's All-Stars:
INF Jameson Fisher: .367 OBP, .414 SLG
RHP Will Kincanon: 2.08 ERA in 19 outings
RHP Luis Ledo: 2.84 ERA, seven saves
INF Nick Madrigal: .272 AVG, 17 stolen bases
LHP John Parke: 4-2, 3.65 ERA in 11 starts
INF Zach Remillard: .304 AVG, 68 hits
PLAYING THEIR BEST BASEBALL
Despite winning 13 out of its last 16 contests, Winston has been eliminated from postseason contention in the first half. Winston has been on a great stretch since May 16 at Myrtle, when the club entered their game with an 18-20 record. Since then, they are 19-6 (.760), posting the best winning percentage in Minor League Baseball.
DASH CITY STARS THRIVING IN B-HAM
At the start of the season, Winston-Salem had two top-50 overall prospects per MLB Pipeline in infielder Nick Madrigal and outfielder Luis Robert. Both have since moved up to Double-A Birmingham after impressive runs in the Twin City. Robert posted a staggering .453/.512/.920 batting line with eight homers and 24 RBIs in Winston-Salem in 19 games before being promoted, while Madrigal recorded a .313/.385/.448 line over his last 17 games with the Dash. Since being promoted, Robert has registered a .307/.351/.497 batting line with four homers in 41 games with the Barons. Meanwhile, Madrigal is off to a hot start with Birmingham, as he is 14-for-32 (.438) with three extra-base hits in his first nine games.
DESERVES ALL THE PRAISE
Along with leading the team in batting average (.304), Zach Remillard is first in OPS (.803) and second in wRC+ (131). Between April 26-June 1, Remillard posted a 31-game on-base streak. Overall in May, Remillard recorded a .375/.471/.545 batting line over 24 games. Before being drafted, Remillard was an integral part of the 2016 College World Series Champion Coastal Carolina Chanticleers, leading the team with 19 homers.
A THIRD STOP FOR CAVANERIO
Right-hander Jorgan Cavanerio will make his sixth start as a White Sox farmhand on Sunday. The Venezuela native was signed by the White Sox as a minor league free agent on May 10 after he was released by the Seattle Mariners. Prior to joining the Dash, Cavanerio pitched for Double-A Arkansas in Seattle's system, going 2-0 with a 7.88 ERA in seven outings. Cavanerio has also pitched in the Marlins system during his time in Minor League Baseball, signing with them when they were the Florida Marlins in 2011. Cavanerio has gone five innings or more in each of his last three starts, posting a 2-0 record in that span.
The Dash's current first-half winning percentage (.587) is the fourth-best in franchise history.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Hernandez Lifts Woodies To Extra-Innings Win Over Pelicans - Down East Wood Ducks
- Pelicans Close out First Half with Extra-Inning Loss to Wood Ducks - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Sean Miller Added to CL North All-Star Squad - Frederick Keys
- Rocks Wrap up First Half with Dramatic Win in Extras - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Carolina Closes First Half with 6-2 Home Loss to Winston-Salem - Carolina Mudcats
- Comeback Falls Short as Blue Rocks Win in Extras - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Red Sox Clobber Keys in First Half Finale - Frederick Keys
- Dash Close out First Half with 6-2 Victory over Mudcats - Winston-Salem Dash
- Woodpeckers Lose Series Finale After Nationals' Offense Erupts - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Nine-Run Eighth Leads P-Nats into Break with Win - Potomac Nationals
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: June 16 vs. Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Tyler Payne Added to Carolina League All-Star Roster - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- June 16 - Carolina Mudcats Game Notes - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (June 16 at Carolina) - Winston-Salem Dash
- June 16 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Infielder Colton Shaver Earns Promotion to Double-A - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.