Red Sox Clobber Keys in First Half Finale
FREDERICK, MD - The Salem Red Sox (25-42) turned in three different innings of four or more runs in a 16-2 win over the Frederick Keys (29-40) on Sunday afternoon at Haley Toyota Field. It was the Keys sixth loss in a row and the team's biggest setback of the year. Overall, the orange and black ended the first half with losses in 14 of their last 15 games.
Salem plated nine of their 16 runs in the first two innings. With two outs in the bottom of the first, Pedro Castellanos singled home Jagger Rusconi from second before a Marcus Wilson single and a three-run homer by Edgar Corcino off Cameron Bishop made it 4-0 Red Sox.
In the second, the visitors loaded the bases, with a Ryan Fitzgerald groundout and a Castellanos single stretching the lead to a touchdown. Salem then reloaded the bases, with a two-run Corcino double and a Garrett Benge sac-fly making it 9-0. Corcino ended the game 3-for-5 with five RBIs.
A Zach Jarrett groundout plated Stuart Levy in the third, but that was the lone blemish against Salem starter, Enmanuel De Jesus. Posting a quality start, De Jesus (4-5) allowed just one run on seven hits in six innings to pick up the victory. He struck out three.
Salem tacked on four more runs in the fourth, with the big blow coming on a Tanner Nishioka three-run shot to left that hit off a light tower. Ahead 13-1, Salem's lead grew by three more runs in the sixth. Matthias Dietz walked the bases loaded, before a hit-by-pitch forced in a run. Two more runs scored on a fourth walk and a fielding error.
Bishop (0-6) suffered the loss, allowing nine runs on nine hits in two innings. He walked two and struck out two. Jarrett went 2-for-4 with an eighth inning home run and two RBIs. Stuart Levy finished 3-for-4 with two doubles and a run scored.
The Keys will be off from Monday-Wednesday for the Carolina League All-Star break before returning to action on Thursday night in Wilmington, when the Keys and Blue Rocks play a 6:35 p.m. game at Frawley Stadium.
On Tuesday, the Keys host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. Pregame ceremonies start at 7:00 p.m. with first pitch scheduled for 7:15. A Skills Challenge will take place from 5-6 p.m. while Fan Fest presented by Mattress Warehouse, Pediatric Dental Center of Frederick and Smile Frederick Orthodontics is from 3-6. In-game performances by XPOGO and Tyler's Amazing Balancing Act are scheduled, while fireworks presented by Visit Frederick follow the game. Limited tickets to the game are still available by calling 301-815-9939 or by visiting frederickkeys.com.
The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League's Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at GArnold@FrederickKeys.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Hernandez Lifts Woodies To Extra-Innings Win Over Pelicans - Down East Wood Ducks
- Pelicans Close out First Half with Extra-Inning Loss to Wood Ducks - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Sean Miller Added to CL North All-Star Squad - Frederick Keys
- Rocks Wrap up First Half with Dramatic Win in Extras - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Carolina Closes First Half with 6-2 Home Loss to Winston-Salem - Carolina Mudcats
- Comeback Falls Short as Blue Rocks Win in Extras - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Red Sox Clobber Keys in First Half Finale - Frederick Keys
- Dash Close out First Half with 6-2 Victory over Mudcats - Winston-Salem Dash
- Woodpeckers Lose Series Finale After Nationals' Offense Erupts - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Nine-Run Eighth Leads P-Nats into Break with Win - Potomac Nationals
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: June 16 vs. Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Tyler Payne Added to Carolina League All-Star Roster - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- June 16 - Carolina Mudcats Game Notes - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (June 16 at Carolina) - Winston-Salem Dash
- June 16 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Infielder Colton Shaver Earns Promotion to Double-A - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.