Nine-Run Eighth Leads P-Nats into Break with Win
Fayetteville, NC - The Potomac Nationals (30-37) wrapped up the first half of the 2019 season with a resounding win on Sunday afternoon, defeating the Fayetteville Woodpeckers (31-38) by a score of 15-4. LF Nick Banks hit a go-ahead grand slam in the eighth inning, setting in motion an offensive outburst that put the game out of reach.
Potomac scored nine runs on four hits in the eighth, with all nine runs scoring with two outs. They added three more in the ninth for good measure to earn a series split in the four-game set.
RHP Andrew Lee didn't allow a hit through 4.2 innings, but allowed an opposite-field solo homer to DH Scott Manea just after 1B Aldrem Corredor gave the P-Nats a brief 1-0 lead in the fifth with a sacrifice fly.
2B Bryan Mejia hit a pair of triples in the ballgame off starter RHP Jojanse Torres, and his RBI three-bagger in the sixth put Potomac back in front 2-1. 3B Omar Meregildo followed with an RBI single to extend the lead to 3-1.
Lee allowed another homer to CF Chandler Taylor in the bottom of the sixth, and left with two runners on base and two outs in a 3-2 ballgame. LF Corey Julks put Fayetteville ahead with a two-run double off RHP Jorge Pantoja, with both runs charged to Lee.
The game would remain 4-3 until the eighth, when RF Gage Canning drew a two-out bases-loaded walk off RHP Cesar Rosado (L, 2-2) to tie the game. RHP Leovanny Rodriguez entered with the bases still loaded, and his first pitch to Banks was sent over the right field wall to put Potomac ahead 8-4. A two-run double from DH Telmito Agustin and a single from Mejia took advantage of Fayetteville miscues and made it a nine-run inning.
RHP Aaron Fletcher (W, 1-0) pitched two scoreless innings to earn his first Carolina League win. Singles from Banks, Agustin and C Jakson Reetz stretched the lead to 15-4 in the ninth before RHP Andrew Istler closed it out in the bottom half.
The P-Nats will send Lee, Reetz, Banks, Corredor and 2B Cole Freeman to the Carolina League All-Star Classic on Tuesday night in Frederick, Maryland. They return home to Northwest Federal Field on Thursday night for a weeklong homestand against the Carolina Mudcats and Wilmington Blue Rocks.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Hernandez Lifts Woodies To Extra-Innings Win Over Pelicans - Down East Wood Ducks
- Pelicans Close out First Half with Extra-Inning Loss to Wood Ducks - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Sean Miller Added to CL North All-Star Squad - Frederick Keys
- Rocks Wrap up First Half with Dramatic Win in Extras - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Carolina Closes First Half with 6-2 Home Loss to Winston-Salem - Carolina Mudcats
- Comeback Falls Short as Blue Rocks Win in Extras - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Red Sox Clobber Keys in First Half Finale - Frederick Keys
- Dash Close out First Half with 6-2 Victory over Mudcats - Winston-Salem Dash
- Woodpeckers Lose Series Finale After Nationals' Offense Erupts - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Nine-Run Eighth Leads P-Nats into Break with Win - Potomac Nationals
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: June 16 vs. Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Tyler Payne Added to Carolina League All-Star Roster - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- June 16 - Carolina Mudcats Game Notes - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (June 16 at Carolina) - Winston-Salem Dash
- June 16 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Infielder Colton Shaver Earns Promotion to Double-A - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.