Tyler Payne Added to Carolina League All-Star Roster
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - Myrtle Beach Pelicans designated hitter, Tyler Payne , has been selected to represent the Pelicans in the 2019 All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick, the Carolina League office announced on Sunday. The game, which is scheduled for 7:15 p.m. on Tuesday, June 18, will feature a Southern Division team against a squad made up of Northern Division Players from Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium in Frederick, Md.
Payne was a 30th-round selection by the Chicago Cubs in 2015 out of West Virginia State University and is in his first season with the Pelicans. The Hurricane, W.V. native has spent time behind the plate, at first and at DH for the Birds this season.
He is hitting .256/.305/.372 on the year with three homers, 10 doubles and 14 RBIs. Payne was second on the team with a .292 batting average in the month of April.
It is the first-career All-Star selection for Payne and he joins Pelicans Pitchers Javier Assad ,Jesus Camargo and Paul Richan as the four Birds to make the All-Star team.
The Carolina League selected its All-Stars via a voting process that involved its managers, general managers and one media vote per market. Myrtle Beach has now had at least three players represent the Pelicans in the Midsummer Classic for the past nine seasons dating back to 2011.
A year ago, shortstop Aramis Ademan , pitcher Tyler Peyton and catcher Jhonny Pereda donned the Pelicans' uniform in the 2018 All-Star Classic in Zebulon, N.C.
The 2019 season is the 21st season for the Pelicans franchise and fifth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Hernandez Lifts Woodies To Extra-Innings Win Over Pelicans - Down East Wood Ducks
- Pelicans Close out First Half with Extra-Inning Loss to Wood Ducks - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Sean Miller Added to CL North All-Star Squad - Frederick Keys
- Rocks Wrap up First Half with Dramatic Win in Extras - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Carolina Closes First Half with 6-2 Home Loss to Winston-Salem - Carolina Mudcats
- Comeback Falls Short as Blue Rocks Win in Extras - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Red Sox Clobber Keys in First Half Finale - Frederick Keys
- Dash Close out First Half with 6-2 Victory over Mudcats - Winston-Salem Dash
- Woodpeckers Lose Series Finale After Nationals' Offense Erupts - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Nine-Run Eighth Leads P-Nats into Break with Win - Potomac Nationals
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: June 16 vs. Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Tyler Payne Added to Carolina League All-Star Roster - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- June 16 - Carolina Mudcats Game Notes - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (June 16 at Carolina) - Winston-Salem Dash
- June 16 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Infielder Colton Shaver Earns Promotion to Double-A - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.