Wichita's Late-Inning Rally Falls Short
Wichita, KS- The Wind Surge late-inning rally fell short as they lost to the Springfield Cardinals 9-7.
The Surge scored six runs in the seventh inning to shrink the Springfield lead to 9-6. Andrew Bechtold hit a three-run homer, and two walks and a wild pitch with the bases loaded plated three more Wichita base-runners.
Wichita scored another run in the bottom of the eighth as Chris Williams hit an RBI- double to score Matt Wallner. Williams finished the night going three for four with an RBI and a walk. Springfield closer Freddy Pacheco retired the side in the bottom of the ninth to secure the Cardinals victory.
Kyle Leahy started and earned the win for Springfield. He pitched six innings and did not allow a run into the seventh inning. Ben Gross took the loss.
Notes: Michael Helman's hit streak ended at eleven games. Chris Vallimont was designated for assignment and Zach Featherstone was activated from development roster.
Coming Up: The Wind Surge will resume action tomorrow; May 22nd, for the series finale against the Springfield Cardinals. First pitch is at 6:05 and gates open at 5:00. Matt Canterino will take the hill for Wichita and Domingo Robles will be on the mound for the Cardinals. The game will be carried by radio ESPN Wichita 92.3, MiLB.com and Windsurge.com
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from May 21, 2022
- Missions Clinch Series Victory with 11-Run Outburst - San Antonio Missions
- Drillers Clinch Series in Saturday Win - Tulsa Drillers
- Cardinals Hang on for 9-7 Win on Saturday - Springfield Cardinals
- Travs Tripped by Naturals - Arkansas Travelers
- Riders over Hooks, End Skid on Saturday - Frisco RoughRiders
- Wichita's Late-Inning Rally Falls Short - Wichita Wind Surge
- Harris Powers Riders, Hooks' Win Streak Snapped - Corpus Christi Hooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.