Western Conference Player of the Year Carter Hart Named WHL Goaltender of the Week
EVERETT, Wash. - The Everett Silvertips (@WHLSilvertips), six time and 2017-18 U.S. Division champions, announced in conjunction with the Western Hockey League that goaltender Carter Hart has been named WHL Goaltender of the Week for the week ending on Apr. 15.
Coming off his seventh WHL Goaltender of the Week award this season and 16th in his career, he went 3-0-0-0, maintained a 1.41 goals-against-average, stopped 112 of 116 shots for a .966 save percentage, as the Silvertips eliminated the Portland Winterhawks to advance to the Western Conference Championship for the first time since 2006, now the third appearance in franchise history. He has also been named WHL Goaltender of the Month four times in the last six months. Hart has also taken CHL Goaltender of the Week honors for the four times this season.
Hart stopped 40 of 42 shots in a 6-2 win against the Winterhawks in Game 3 last Tuesday in Portland. Two days later, he stopped 42 of 44 shots from the Winterhawks to keep the Silvertips at a perfect 4-0 on the road in the 2018 WHL Playoffs with a 3-2 win, sparked by a two-goal rally in the last two minutes of regulation. Friday, Hart helped to close out the series with a 30-save performance in a 4-0 win against Portland. With teammate Dustin Wolf, the pair combined for the shutout, the second time the Winterhawks had been blanked in the series. Hart was named the second star of the game for his efforts in the series-clinching victory.
The 6-foot-2, 185-pound goaltender has an 8-1-1-1 record, 1.92 GAA, .944 SV% and two shutouts heading into the Conference Finals. Hart leads all goaltenders in the 2018 WHL Playoffs for goals against average, save percentage, shutouts, and is tied with Lethbridge Hurricanes goaltender Logan Flodell for first in wins with eight victories. In 32 career playoffs games, Hart has now compiled a 19-13-5 record, 2.25 GAA, .928 SV% and four shutouts.
The WHL Western Conference Player of the Year, Top Goaltender, and First Team All-Star is the back-to-back recipient of the WHL Goaltender of the Year award and 2016 CHL Goaltender of the Year honors, is a three-time recipient of the Silvertips Most Valuable Player award and carries a lifetime record of 116-46-10-2 with a .927 save percentage, 2.01 goals-against-average and 26 career shutouts in 190 games, all with the Silvertips. He is the franchise goaltending leader in wins (116) and is tied for the WHL all-time lead in shutouts (26).
The 6-foot-2, 185 pound goaltender led the league this season in goals against average (1.60), save percentage (.947), shutouts (7), and was fourth in wins (31) while compiling a record of 31-6-1-3 in 41 games. He helped Canada capture the gold medal at this season's World Junior Championship tournament and is a second round selection (48th overall) of the Philadelphia Flyers in the 2016 National Hockey League Entry Draft. He had a 13-game winning streak this season, surrounding his gold medal accomplishment in Buffalo and was named to three straight WHL Goaltender of the Month honors.
All individual WHL Conference Award winners will be eligible for the overall league awards at the 2018 WHL Awards luncheon in Red Deer, AB., on Wednesday, May 2. Hart is vying to become the first goaltender since Darcy Kuemper (Red Deer) to earn WHL Player of the Year honors as recipient of the Four Broncos Memorial Trophy. He is vying to become the first honoree of the Top Goaltender award in league history for three straight years, and joins Chet Pickard (Tri-City), Mike Vernon (Calgary), and Ray Martyniuk (Flin Flon) as the only four goaltenders to earn the award on back-to-back occasions.
WHL Conference Awards are voted upon by all WHL General Managers and Head Coaches.
2018 Silvertips Playoff tickets are currently available at www.everettsilvertips.com/playoffs.
Place your deposit for 2018-19 Silvertips Season Tickets at www.everettsilvertips.com/season or by calling (425) 252-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2018
- Three Silvertips Listed Among Top North American Skaters by NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings - Everett Silvertips
- Western Conference Player of the Year Carter Hart Named WHL Goaltender of the Week - Everett Silvertips
- Americans Bean Named WHL Player of the Week - Tri-City Americans
- Silvertips' Hart Named WHL Goaltender of the Week - WHL
- Americans' Bean Named WHL On the Run Player of the Week - WHL
- Ludvig Listed Among Top North American Skaters for NHL Draft - Portland Winterhawks
- Four Hitmen on NHL Central Scouting's Final Rankings for 2018 NHL Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- Three Rockets Listed on NHL Central Scouting's Final Rankings of N.A. Skaters - Kelowna Rockets
- Pair of Broncos Named in 2018 NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings - Swift Current Broncos
- Two Blazers in NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings - Kamloops Blazers
- 45 WHL Players Highlight NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings - WHL
- Three Chiefs Included in NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings - Spokane Chiefs
- Canes Chatter - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Three Raiders Listed by NHL Central Scouting - Prince Albert Raiders
- Entertainment Lineup Announced for 2018 MasterCard Memorial Cup Celebration Zone - Regina Pats
- Season Tickets Now Available - Kamloops Blazers
- Three Blades Listed on NHL Central Scouting Final Ranking - Saskatoon Blades
- Three Vancouver Giants Crack NHL Central Scouting's Final Rankings List - Vancouver Giants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.