Weekend Series with Tigers Opens with Narrow Loss
The Moose Jaw Warriors had a strong start but the Medicine Hat Tigers fought from behind and picked up a hard 5-2 win at Canalta Centre.
The Warriors came out hard to start the game.Â They moved up the ice quickly when going on the attack and the came back just as fast defensively to neutralize the Tigers fore-check.
Close to the 5-minute mark of the period, new Warrior Logan Doust jumped on a loose puck in the neutral zone and burst up the ice on a breakaway.Â In his 100th WHL game, which was his first game with his new team, Doust ripped a shot past Garin Bjorklund to give Moose Jaw and early lead.
Just over two minutes later at 6:51, Cole Jordan had the puck in the Moose Jaw zone and looked up the ice where he put a pass onto the stick of Captain Owen Hardy.
Hardy charged down the Tigers' right wall and when he got to the face-off dot, he put a shot over the glove of Bjorklund, his team-leading 18th goal made it 2-0.
Medicine Hat was able to respond at 13:06 when they dumped the puck into the Moose Jaw zone and the puck took a funny hop off the glass in the Warriors zone and ricocheted to the top of the crease.
Bilous had come out of his net to play the puck and was not able to recover from the odd bounce as Caleb Willms scored to get Medicine Hat on the scoreboard.
The Tigers came out in the second period with a hard push.Â They had plenty of zone time and were able to outshoot Moose Jaw 15-5 in the period, but the Warriors held their ground and kept their 2-1 lead going into the second intermission.
Medicine Hat started the third period just like the second period, with a strong attack and plenty of zone time.
Close to three minutes into the period, Brett Kemp had the puck for the Tigers at the bottom of the left circle and then set up Cole Sillinger between the circle for a one-timer that found the back of the net to tie the game at two.
The game remaining close as both teams pushed for a go-ahead goal.
With less than five minutes left, the Warriors failed to clear their zone which allowed Cole Sillinger to make a cross-ice pass from the high left wall to Brett Kemp on the right win where he drove the Moose Jaw net and scored to give Medicine Hat their first lead of the game.
In the final moments of the game, the Warriors pulled their goalie twice which led to two empty-net goals and a 5-2 loss.
Warriors goalie Boston Bilous made 45 saves in the loss while Garin Bjorklund made 22 in the win.
Moose Jaw was 0-for-4 on the power-play and 1-for-1 on the penalty kill.
These two teams will wrap up their regular-season series Saturday at Mosaic Place with the back half of their weekend home-and-home series.
Tickets are available at the Mosaic Place Box Office or online at www.mjwarriors.ca.
Catch all the action on Country 100 starting with the PreGame Show at 6:40 pm.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2020
- Tigers Defeat Warriors 7-5 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Hughes Gets Shutout and ICE Win Big - Winnipeg Ice
- Broncos Can't Climb out of Early Hole in Loss to Lethbridge - Swift Current Broncos
- Neighbours Scores Shorthanded and in the Shootout to Help Guide Oil Kings Past Raiders - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Silvertips Scout Night and Beanie Giveaway Presented by BECU on Sunday, 4:05 p.m. vs Regina - Everett Silvertips
- Game Day Hub: January 11 - Portland Winterhawks
- Gameday Hub: January 11 - Saskatoon Blades
- Michael Ferland Bobblehead Night Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Start U.S. Road Trip against Tri-City Saturday Night - Regina Pats
- Game 42 at Moose Jaw - Medicine Hat Tigers
- ICE Look to Regain First in the East Division. - Winnipeg Ice
- Royals Best Winterhawks in Overtime - Victoria Royals
- Ams Awaken Too Late in 8-5 Loss to Thunderbirds - Tri-City Americans
- Giants Fall 3-1 to the Spokane Chiefs Friday Down South - Vancouver Giants
- T-Birds Shut Down Americans - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Rebels Turn in Strong Effort But Come up One Goal Short vs. Wheat Kings - Red Deer Rebels
- Trading Barteaux Makes for Emotional, Difficult Day for Rebels GM/Head Coach Sutter - Red Deer Rebels
- Wheat Kings Edge Rebels - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Cougars Push Champs to OT - Prince George Cougars
- Chiefs Clamp Down on Snowy Friday, Beat Giants 3-1 - Spokane Chiefs
- Defensive Battle Favors Victoria on Friday - Portland Winterhawks
- Tigers Power Past Warriors in Third Period to Win 5-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Weekend Series with Tigers Opens with Narrow Loss - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Hurricanes Pull away from Hitmen - Calgary Hitmen
- Culling, Paddock Lift Raiders to Overtime Win - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.