Wedgewood Posts Shutout; Albany Devils Home Streak Continues
ALBANY, NY - Scott Wedgewood backstopped the Albany Devils to their 11th-consecutive home victory, defeating the Rochester Americans, 4-0, Wednesday at Times Union Center. The Devils netminder was tasked with making 19 stops to extend his winning streak to five games and earn his first shutout of the season.
Box Score | Download Highlights & Postgame Reaction
Mike Sislo, the reigning AHL Player of the Week, registered his third multiple-point game in the last four outings, posting a pair of assists. Brian O'Neill had multiple points, tallying a goal and a helper. Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond, Matt Lorito and Reid Boucher also scored as the Devils improved to 23-8-4-0.
Albany faced netminder Robin Lehner, who is in the AHL on a conditioning stint from Buffalo. He had appeared in 62 NHL games during the last three seasons, but the Devils didn't seem to have an issue. They unloaded 39 shots and used misdirection and speed to find the back of the net.
Leblond started the scoring at 7:08 of the first period after Rod Pelley won a puck battle behind Rochester's net. Leblond's centering pass, which was intended for Corey Tropp, redirected off an Amerk defenseman's stick and over the redline.
Albany, which owned a 39-19 shot advantage, added to its lead late in the second period. Sislo tried to sneak a puck five-hole while on a breakaway. His bid was stopped, but he gathered the rebound, circled the zone and found Lorito for a one-timer at 16:04.
In the third, O'Neill redirected Dan Kelly's point shot at 4:48 and Boucher scored on a wrister from the right circle at 11:05. The latter came on the power play, giving them at least one man-up goal in each of the last five contests.
The victory was Wedgewood's sixth of the season and his five-game winning streak is the longest of his career. He made four stops in the first, eight in the second and seven in the third.
Shots: Albany 39, Rochester 19
Power Play: Albany 1-4, Rochester 0-2
Three Stars: 1. Scott Wedgewood (ALB), 2. Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond (ALB), 3. Mike Sislo (ALB)
The Devils travel to face the Providence Bruins Friday at 7:05 pm. Fans can stream the game online at ahllive.com or listen on the radio at 104.5 "The Team" ESPN Radio.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2016
- Monsters Blanked by Moose, 4-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- B-Sens End Back-And-Forth Game with 4-3 Win over Crunch - Binghamton Senators
- Comets Nab Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss to Toronto - Utica Comets
- Wedgewood Posts Shutout; Albany Devils Home Streak Continues - Albany Devils
- Checkers Roar Past Grand Rapids for Comeback Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Fall to Senators, 4-3, in OT - Syracuse Crunch
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Get Shutout in Albany - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Come from Behind Twice for 6-4 Victory - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Trumped by Penguins - St. John's IceCaps
- B-Sens Extend Lease Agreement with Broome County - Binghamton Senators
- Trupp Visits Villa Park for Chicago Wolves' Read to Succeed Program - Chicago Wolves
- Canucks Assign Chris Higgins to Comets - Utica Comets
- San Diego Gulls Ink Larraza to PTO - San Diego Gulls
- Syracuse Crunch Partner with Hope for Heather to Hold Teal Gate Game January 16 - Syracuse Crunch
- Condors Recall D Ben Betker from Norfolk - Bakersfield Condors
- Monsters Announce Time Change for Two Games - Cleveland Monsters
- Avalanche Reassigns Brandon Gormley to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Chicago Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Dunkin' Donuts Announced as Presenting Sponsor of 2016 Toyota AHL All-Star Classic - Syracuse Crunch
- Heat Welcome in San Antonio for the First Time to Stockton Arena Tonight at 7PM - Stockton Heat
- Oilers Recall Winger Zack Kassian from Bakersfield - Bakersfield Condors
- Amerks Partner with Seneca Waterways Council to Offer Salesmanship Merit Badge for Boy Scouts - Rochester Americans
- Jets Recall Halischuk; Place Scheifele on IR - Manitoba Moose
- Game Day: Albany Devils vs. Rochester Americans, 7 PM - Albany Devils
- IceHogs Kick-Off Eight-Game Homestand in Style - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.