Waterloo Grinds out 6-5 Win over La Crosse
The Waterloo Bucks (16-13) took their first lead in the eighth inning, hanging on for a 6-5 win against the La Crosse Loggers (13-16) on Tuesday afternoon. The win guarantees that Waterloo will hold a divisional lead of no less than two full games heading into their upcoming seven-day first half-ending road trip.
La Crosse scored a pair of runs in the first inning off Bucks starter Adam Ketelsen. Mike Nyisztor (2-3, R, 2B, 2 SAC) led off the second with a single and later scored on a passed ball. The Loggers responded with two more in the third, carrying a 3-1 lead into the home half.
Tony Jenkins (1-5, R, SB) singled and Bennett Hostetler (1-4, BB, 2 R, 3B) drew a walk to open the Bucks' third. Patrick Ferguson (2-3, 2 BB, 2 R, 2B, RBI) laced an RBI single to right-center, scoring Jenkins. Following a Nyisztor sacrifice bunt, Blake Berry (2-5, 2 RBI) and Alonzo Rubalcaba (2-3, HBP, RBI) each rapped run-scoring singles to knot the game at 4-4.
Both teams went to their bullpens in the fifth, and the Bucks' Jack Dolak tossed a 1-2-3 frame in his Waterloo debut. Fellow debut-maker Peyton Fuller covered the next two innings, striking out one and allowing a pair of hits. After Fuller surrendered a run in the seventh, Ferguson led off the home half with a double, moved to third on a Nyisztor sacrifice, then was brought home by a Berry single.
Will Christophersen fired a scoreless eighth, working around an error. In desperate need of a clutch hit and tied at 5-5 in the Waterloo half of the eighth, Hostetler banged a two-out triple off the right-center wall, then scored on a wild pitch. Christopherson dealt a 1-2-3 ninth, striking out one to earn his first collegiate victory. Jenkins finished off the game with a dazzling diving catch to rob the Loggers of a two-out single.
Waterloo and La Crosse finish off their home-and-home on Wednesday evening in Wisconsin, with first pitch at 6:35 p.m. on the Bucks Radio Network powered by 1650 The Fan. This game begins a seven-game road trip for the Bucks, closing out the first half.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 25, 2019
- Rafters Shut Down Dock Spiders in Home Win - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Duluth Huskies Pull out 7-6 Win - Duluth Huskies
- Stingers Shutout Honkers - Willmar Stingers
- Woodchucks Struggle to Get Bats Going against Lakeshore - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Meet Wade Stadium Legend Jon Winter - Duluth Huskies
- Farmers Union Insurance jersey giveaway tomorrow - Bismarck Larks
- Rafters Look to Bounce Back After off Day - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Waterloo Grinds out 6-5 Win over La Crosse - Waterloo Bucks
- Mallards Crush Booyah 13-4 to Open Doubleheader - Madison Mallards
- Huge Week Coming up at the Lumberyard - La Crosse Loggers
- Pit Spitters Roster Update - Traverse City Pit Spitters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.