Warner Ks 10 in 4-1 Cardinals Win over RockHounds
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Austin Warner struck out 10 over six one-run innings to help the Springfield Cardinals (25-39) cruise to a series-opening 4-1 win over the Midland RockHounds (31-32) on Tuesday night in front of 5,666 fans at Hammons Field.
W: LHP Austin Warner (3-5)
L: RHP Brian Howard (5-3)
S: RHP Junior Fernandez (4)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
- A two-run fifth inning for Springfield was the difference on the scoreboard as back-to-back RBI singles by CF Dylan Carlson and DH Randy Arozarena turned a 1-1 tie into a 3-1 lead.
- It was 2B Irving Lopez that scored the go-ahead run in the fifth after a leadoff triple. It was also Lopez that tied the game 1-1 with a solo homer (8) to right field in the bottom of the third.
- Four of Warner's 10 strikeouts came in the second inning after RockHounds DH Chase Calabuig struck out but reached on a wild pitch to leadoff the inning.
- Warner allowed one run on six hits and a walk over his 6.0 innings of work, exiting with 10 strikeouts for the second time this season (5/14 vs. ARK). Warner has struck out seven or more batters in five of his last six starts and has allowed two earned runs or less in three of his last four.
- Cardinals 3B Yariel Gonzalez had a strong Hammons Field debut, batting 2-for-4 with a double.
- Cardinals 1B Chris Chinea continued to swing a hot bat, mashing his eighth home run of the season in the sixth inning and giving Springfield a 4-1 lead.
- RHP Kodi Whitley struck out four over 2.0 perfect relief innings. Fernandez followed suit with a perfect ninth (2 Ks) and his fourth save of the season.
WHAT'S ON DECK:
The homestand continues Wednesday at 11:10 a.m. with Springfield's final weekday day game of 2019.
Check out all the upcoming fun and get your tickets today at SpringfieldCardinals.com/promotions.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Amarillo Evens Series with 4-1 Win over Naturals - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- RockHounds Score 7 After Rain Delay, Cardinals Lose 9-5 - Springfield Cardinals
- Six Run Sixth Leads RockHounds to Win - Midland RockHounds
- LaRue Shines Despite Loss to Arkansas - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Lux and May Lead Tulsa Past Frisco - Tulsa Drillers
- Drillers Drop Riders Wednesday - Frisco RoughRiders
- Q&A with Hooks First Baseman Seth Beer - Corpus Christi Hooks
- RockHounds Drop Opener to Cardinals - Midland RockHounds
- Sod Poodles Drop Series Opener to Naturals 9-3, Remain One Game Back in Playoff Race - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Warner Ks 10 in 4-1 Cardinals Win over RockHounds - Springfield Cardinals
- Riders Drop Series Opener against Tulsa - Frisco RoughRiders
- Naturals Pound Poodles, 9-3 in Hodgetown Debut - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- McCaughan Brilliant in Win over Hooks - Arkansas Travelers
- Tulsa Blanks Frisco to Begin Road Trip - Tulsa Drillers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Cardinals Stories
- Give the Gift of Cardinals Baseball this Christmas Ã°ÂÂÂÃ¢ÂÂ¾Ã¯Â¸Â
- Hammons Field Wins Seventh Double-A Field of the Year Award
- #VoteCardinals for 3 MiLBY Awards Before Voting Ends
- Start Your 2020 RED Access Today with a 5-Month Flex Plan
- Vote Cardinals for Three 2019 MiLBY Awards