LaRue Shines Despite Loss to Arkansas
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, AR - Corpus Christi starter Carson LaRue tossed his first career complete game but the Hooks could not solve the Arkansas pitching staff in a 3-1 defeat.
Despite the loss, the Hooks remain just a half game back of first place in the south division playoff race. The entire division lost their games on Monday evening, with Frisco still leading the quadrant at 32-32.
Offensively the Hooks were jump-started by Seth Beer's two-hit night - including his solo homer to right field to push the Hooks ahead 1-0 through four innings.
LaRue cruised through the first five frames and didn't face trouble until the sixth inning. Arkansas nine-hole hitter Aaron Knapp started the rally with an opposite field base hit. During Donnie Walton's at-bat, Knapp stole second. Walton would manage an infield single and put runners on the corners for the Travelers.
Evan White lined a double down the left field line to score a pair and give Arkansas it's first lead of the game. LaRue would escape the frame without further damage.
Darren McCaughan would work into the eighth inning for the Travelers and register his fifth straight quality start in the win. He was lifted for Wyatt Mills who completed a four-out save leaving a pair of runners stranded in the eighth. The sidearmer sealed the win with a 1-2-3 ninth.
Game two of the three-game set comes at 7:10 PM on Wednesday night. Right-hander JB Bukauskas will take the start for the Hooks opposite righty Nabill Crismatt for Arkansas. Pregame coverage on NewsRadio 1360 KKTX and TuneIn will be live at 6:50 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Amarillo Evens Series with 4-1 Win over Naturals - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- RockHounds Score 7 After Rain Delay, Cardinals Lose 9-5 - Springfield Cardinals
- Six Run Sixth Leads RockHounds to Win - Midland RockHounds
- LaRue Shines Despite Loss to Arkansas - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Lux and May Lead Tulsa Past Frisco - Tulsa Drillers
- Drillers Drop Riders Wednesday - Frisco RoughRiders
- Q&A with Hooks First Baseman Seth Beer - Corpus Christi Hooks
- RockHounds Drop Opener to Cardinals - Midland RockHounds
- Sod Poodles Drop Series Opener to Naturals 9-3, Remain One Game Back in Playoff Race - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Warner Ks 10 in 4-1 Cardinals Win over RockHounds - Springfield Cardinals
- Riders Drop Series Opener against Tulsa - Frisco RoughRiders
- Naturals Pound Poodles, 9-3 in Hodgetown Debut - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- McCaughan Brilliant in Win over Hooks - Arkansas Travelers
- Tulsa Blanks Frisco to Begin Road Trip - Tulsa Drillers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.