Lux and May Lead Tulsa Past Frisco
FRISCO, TX - For the second straight game, Tulsa Drillers pitching kept the Texas League South Division first-place Frisco RoughRiders bats at bay on Wednesday afternoon. Drillers starter Dustin May allowed just one run in his solid start, while Gavin Lux homered twice in Tulsa's 6-1 win at Dr Pepper Ballpark.
The victory gives the Drillers a series win against Frisco, and it is their sixth-straight win against the RoughRiders dating back to last season.
Gavin Lux gave Tulsa a quick 1-0 lead in the top of the first. On the very first pitch of the game, Lux crushed a ball to deep right-center that left the yard for a solo-home run.
Frisco evened things up on a sacrifice fly in the second, but Lux gave Tulsa the lead a few innings later. With a runner on first in the top of the fifth, Lux launched his second homer of the game, again over the right-center wall, giving the Drillers a 3-1 lead.
The Drillers added to it an inning later. The top of the sixth started with a walk and a single, and with DJ Peters at the plate, both runners advanced on a wild pitch. Peters then came up with a big double, hit just inside left field line, scoring two and giving Tulsa a 5-1 lead.
Starter May put together his best start since the end of April, and his second quality start of the season. The highly touted Dodgers prospect picked up his third win of the season after allowing only one run on three hits in 6.2 innings.
The Tulsa lead swelled to 6-1 the ninth with a solo homer by Chris Parmelee, and Marshall Kasowski set the 'Riders down in order to end the game.
WHAT YOU MISSED
*The two-homer game from Lux marks the second time this season that a Drillers player has had a multi-homer game. Cody Thomas was the other, hitting three home runs in a 10-7 win at Springfield on April 17.
*Lux now has 13 home runs on the season, tying him with Granden Goetzman of Corpus Christi for the Texas League lead.
*Parmelee had a season high three hits in the game. His ninth-inning homer was his eighth of the year.
*For May, it was his third win of the season but his first win since April 28. The 6.2 innings pitched matched a season high for the right-hander.
*Jordan Sheffield relieved May and worked 1.1 scoreless innings with three of the four outs coming via strikeouts. Kasowski finished the game with a 1-2-3 ninth inning, adding two more strikeouts.
*Tulsa pitchers have combined to allow just one run in the first two games against Frisco.
*Lux became the fourth player to homer on the first pitch of the game from Frisco starter Jonathan Hernandez.
UP NEXT: Tulsa at Frisco, Thursday, June 13, 7:05 PM at Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, TX. LHP Ben Holmes (0-0, 4.50 ERA) vs. RHP Ronald Herrera (0-0, 3.60 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Amarillo Evens Series with 4-1 Win over Naturals - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- RockHounds Score 7 After Rain Delay, Cardinals Lose 9-5 - Springfield Cardinals
- Six Run Sixth Leads RockHounds to Win - Midland RockHounds
- LaRue Shines Despite Loss to Arkansas - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Lux and May Lead Tulsa Past Frisco - Tulsa Drillers
- Drillers Drop Riders Wednesday - Frisco RoughRiders
- Q&A with Hooks First Baseman Seth Beer - Corpus Christi Hooks
- RockHounds Drop Opener to Cardinals - Midland RockHounds
- Sod Poodles Drop Series Opener to Naturals 9-3, Remain One Game Back in Playoff Race - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Warner Ks 10 in 4-1 Cardinals Win over RockHounds - Springfield Cardinals
- Riders Drop Series Opener against Tulsa - Frisco RoughRiders
- Naturals Pound Poodles, 9-3 in Hodgetown Debut - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- McCaughan Brilliant in Win over Hooks - Arkansas Travelers
- Tulsa Blanks Frisco to Begin Road Trip - Tulsa Drillers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tulsa Drillers Stories
- ONEOK Field to Get Major Additions and Upgrades to LED Video Displays
- Drillers Announce 2020 Schedule and Start Times
- Amarillo Stuns Drillers with Ninth-Inning Rally to Win Title
- Amarillo Blanks Drillers to Force Winner-Take-All Game 5 Sunday at ONEOK Field
- Solbach, Wong Lead Drillers to Within One Win of Title